Search This Blog

Monday 5 November 2018

Let Lying Dogs Sleep

Just To Mix It Up A Bit
Up to five minutes ago I was fixed in place, as Edna Wunderhund had inveigled herself half on to my lap, seeking to usurp the hated and reviled laptop.  Sorry, Edna, this is me working on my work at home, not idly footling around on the internet, so the laptop stays in place.  Earlier, when sitting on the comfy chair, I put the laptop down in order to go get another cup of tea - loose leaf Cardamom tea, since you ask - except Edna immediately leapt into position and there I was, trapped again.
     Now that Wonder Wifey is due back from her seaborne sojourn, I will no longer feel like the parent of a small child, a furry one with their own very strong views on how the world ought to be ordered.  Down, Edna, down!
Edna's position of choice
     Having now established my credentials as a flinty-hearted old dastard, I think it's time to put a flourescent jacket on the motley and send it into No Man's Land!

By Which I Mean -
I know what I meant,* yet you might not.  By NML your humble scribe is not talking about the Amazons or that place Wonder Woman comes from, the name of which escapes me, nor is it Never-Never Land (Peter Pan and all that).
Image result for frying pan
Close enough.
     "No Man's Land" refers to a feature of the First Unpleasantness, that being the land that lay between the two opposing trench systems, which might be as narrow as ten yards in places, or as wide as half a mile.  If you wished to commit any skullduggery against your foe, you needed to get across NML first, which could be tricky as there were almost no landmarks left.  Art?
Image result for no man's land ww1
Fixer-upper opportunity
     Commonwealth troops, especially the Cricket-Loving Sweary ones, regarded NML as pretty much theirs, and would patrol it lots to get the point across.  

Square-Bashing And I
I did threaten to go on about the rules I, Conrad, invented for aircraft for play with the SB ruleset, and your worst fears are recognised - here's a precis.
     Players may acquire a single aircraft, without notifying their opponent what it is.  If you're playing solo, this might require either schizophrenia or a bit of die rolling; I would recommend the latter as it doesn't require lithium.  Art?
Image result for german aircraft ww1 taube
Those wacky Teutons, eh?
     The aircraft is one of three types: fighter (called "Scouts" at the time), bomber or reconnaissance, and can be deployed at any time.  They can move one square at a time in any direction, including diagonally (oooh!  Controversial, Conrad).
     If one player fields a fighter and it engages, then the other aircraft is deemed shot down and is taken out of play, unless it's a fighter, too, in which both are removed.
     If it's a bomber, then when placed over a single square, all the enemy units in that square are deemed Interdicted.
     If it's recon, then when placed over a single square, artillery attacks against that square get the Howitzer bonus.
     I shan't ask you what you think, as you're obviously very impressed.
Image result for handley page 0/400
A Handley-Page 0400, accurately dubbed "A b****y paralyser of an aircraft"
Right, now to walk the dog before the shades of night fall and exploding fireworks rend the peaceful darkness.  I say, that's rather poetic, isn't it?  What a shame I hate poetry.

Mind You -
A snatch of Kipling came into my head whilst walking Edna, for no good reason.  

"On the road to Mandalay,
Where the flying fishes play,
And the dawn comes up like thunder,
In India, across the bay."

     Why this and why now?  I have no idea.  Also, they glide rather than fly, and if that's how dawn comes up, I bet Indians save on having alarm clocks.
Image result for mandalay
Mandalay today.
To Fill A Small Gap
You could resort to stippling, which is an artistic method of creating a whole out of far smaller  components, and if Art will stop sucking uranium out of that spent fuel rod - really, you'd think he was a dog with a marrowbone -
Image result for stippling
Getting stippled
     If you were any good, you could venture to replicate a water feature, in which case there'd be ripples, which you'd stippled.
Image result for stippling lake
Thus
     Or - but I see we are at count, so this witless babbling will cease 




* Not always true <the horrid truth courtesy Mister Hand>

No comments:

Post a Comment