Search This Blog

Sunday 20 May 2018

Minty Fresh - Or Hint Of Death?

I Refer, Of Course, To "Polo"
Not to be confused with "Solo", as in Nasoleon Polo, who works for U.N.C.L.E. whom I don't mind, as they tend to concentrate on human villains, unlike U.N.I.T. who like to stick their long inquisitive noses in my business far too often -
     Which is getting a little off-track again, for which I don't apologise.  I'm horrid like that.  
     ANYWAY.  Polo, for those of you who have been living at the bottom of a mine-shaft in a nuclear bunker since 1962, refers to a sweet.  Art?
Image result for polo mint
Minty fresh!
     Polo makes a big deal about having a hole in the middle, as if boasting how they give you less for your money is a good thing.  They are mint-flavoured, which is a big plus in your humble scribe's opinion, as mint is one of his favourite things.*
     The 'hint of death' is also centred about 'Polo' yet in this case we are talking about the fantastically dangerous element Polonium.  Art?
Image result for marie curie polonium
Pierre and Marie Curie.  Curie-ser and Curie-ser, you might say.
      This element was discovered by Pierre and Marie in 1898, although it took another 40+ years for anyone to discover what to do with the fantastically dangerous stuff.  As informed earlier today, billionths of a gram of Po84 are enough to do you in.  Fortunately for Hom. Sap. it's also very difficult to produce in any great amount, or I guarantee some Cold War suicide-jockey would, a manic light glinting in his eyes, have designed a nuclear bomb using Polonium as the fissile material.
     There.  Do you see where the hint of racing-off-this-mortal-coil-with-the-speed-of-an-Olympic-sprinter comes from?  
     We're not done with Polonium yet, either.  O no indeed!

Conrad Is Not Merely ANGRY -
 - for that simple noun is not sufficient.  No, I think it is time to deploy my Flaming Nuclear Ire (a quantum level up from Frothing Nitric Ire).
     "What now?" I hear you question.  "Has the lid on his jar of pickles become stuck again?"
     Well, yes, as a matter of fact it had, but I worked around it by piercing - hang on!  Don't distract me from my Flaming Nuclear Ire!
     I have just learned that "The Expanse" is not being picked up for a fourth season.  Art?
Image result for the expanse
Naomi, Amos, Alex and Jim.
(Steven Strait, playing Jim, absolutely nails Painful Sincerity)
     I am a reasonable human being man being.  I am willing to wait a fortnight before another channel picks up the show.  Three weeks, absolute tops.  If not, a whole lot of television suits will mysteriously disappear.
     Don't forget the studio suits who floated the idea of remaking "Forbidden Planet"; to this day nobody knows where they vanished to ...

Polish And Porky
No!  No, nothing to do with excessive calorie consumption.  I think Art has something to post about this -
Image result for fat polish
Taunt me with what I cannot have, eh, Art?
     Damn it all to Hell, in the days before diabetes your humble scribe could easily eat six mince pies and a two-pound Christmas pudding with brandy butter, followed up by a couple of slices of Christmas cake and a bowl of ice cream with a whole box of After Eight Mints -**
     - where was I?
     O yes, Polish pork products.  No!  Nothing to do with insults - Art, don't you dare -
Image result for polish police
<sighs and reaches for Tazer>
     What I wanted to say was that I'd secured a few tins of Polish Pork Knuckle at Morrisons at the laughable price of £0.52 per tin.  


     When I returned last week the price had suddenly shot up to £1.75 per tin - obviously Someone Had Blundered in the past over the pricing, for which they shall surely pay - there are people in stores and headquarters whose job it is to get this right first time, no mistakes, for mistakes cost money.  
     Now, if you - sorry, what's that?  How do I know it's Pork Knuckle?  Because pigs do not have mutually-opposable digits?  Okay, Art?
Check out 'Golonka'
      As I was saying, if we imagine that the cost price of a tin of Golonowka is £0.85, then that's a loss of £0.33 per tin at the incorrect price.  Before you snidely reply "So what", imagine that 100 tins of this product were sold across all Morrisons stores at the incorrect price for a week.  That comes to £16,203 total in losses, so if someone at Mighty Morrisons HQ is responsible for this, imagine them getting the sack last week!

     And with that, let me bid you a fond "Do Widzenia!"


*  After books and nuclear weapons.
**  Yes, well, perhaps diabetes no surprise then, Conrad <the horrid truth courtesy Mister Hand>

No comments:

Post a Comment