Search This Blog

Sunday 27 May 2018

Memories

Ha!  The Irony -
For I have remembered what I forgot yesterday, which was banging on at length about human memory, triggered by watching some clips of "Joe 90", a television programme created by that most talented of futurologists, Gerry Anderson.  Art?
Image result for joe 90
The eponymous Joe
     The background, and I hope I'm not spoiling it for you, is that Joe's adoptive father, Professor "Mac" McClaine, has invented a device which can transfer people's memories between each other.  He calls it - strained punning here - B.I.G.R.A.T. and the first person he uses it on as a functional device is - his nine-year old son, Joe.
     You could get away with this sort of thing in the Sixties, you know.  Today if a brilliant scientist tried to mind-wipe and reprogram a small child, they'd end up in Broadmoor Psychiatric Hospital.
Image result for broadmoor hospital
Free food provided, though
     The inspiration may have come from an obscure and little-known sci-fi series called "Starry Treks", which sounds like a brand of breakfast cereal.  In an episode entitled "Spock's Brain" Doctor McCoy uses an alien device to acquire super-advanced medical skills.
Image result for spocks brain
See?  Super-advanced*
     The thing is, those medical skills are transient.  Use them before you lose them, Bones!
     Anyway, such a premise was also used in a television series called "Dollhouse" which wasn't that good because it didn't last long.
     This - sorry, B.I.G.R.A.T. I lost focus there for a minute - lead me to think and ponder, which can be dangerous given what I know about explosive chemicals and toxins.  The memories that get uploaded into Joe are merely technical skills and abilities, rather than different personalities, as otherwise he wouldn't be Joe any more.  They also appear to be dormant unless activated by a special set of glasses with built-in circuitry; the question is, are they transient memories as well, or do they persist over time?  Thus does Joe retain the ability to carry out neurosurgery, fly a high-performance jet fighter and do ballet?  I suspect not, or the W.I.N. would merely load him up with all sorts of skills and abilities in the first episode.
Image result for big rat joe 90
The very B.I.G.R.A.T.
     This is an interesting speculative subject and I think we'll return here.  O yes indeed!
     Okay, time to make the motley juggle with some balls of TNT after telling it that they're just plastic!

"Tank Action" By David Render
Yes, back to that work again, which ought to satisfy anyone who came here because Facebook mentions "tanks", although perhaps I ought to put "zombies" instead of "astronomy".  We'll see.
     David makes some very good points that I've never seen brought up in print before.  One was the severe disadvantage that the longer-gunned Teuton panzers had in any kind of wooded terrain, which Art can help illustrate.  Art!  Pictures!
Image result for panther tank
A Panther
     You'll struggle to find any pictures of these things operating in forests or woods, because as you can see the gun overhangs the hull by a considerable amount:  put simply it cannot easily traverse where there are tree trunks.  Now - Art?
Image result for sherman tank
A Sherman
     As is obvious, no overhang here.  On several occasions David was up against formidable Teuton tanks that bugged out of their wooded hidey-hole, because they feared getting shot to bits without being able to retaliate.
     
Excuse me, just got to go turn the oven off.  Don't want that dinner to burn!

"Happy"
The television series, not what I am.  Mind you, I am pretty cheerful today after working Saturday, because with tomorrow being a Bank Holiday I still have another day off.
     I saw the trailer for this, which seemed entertainingly bizarre.  The warning header tells of drugs, swearing, nudity, violence and all sorts of other good things.  And the first episode doesn't disappoint, as well as a helping of very dark humour.  Art?
Image result for happy! netflix
This is typical.  And yes, that is a tiny blue unicorn
     
No Cucumber!
Given that the weather is hot and sunny, and that I have my Anthony Worrall-Thompson Diabetic Cookbook out, I thought making an Oinamul salad would be good for the digestion, except - no cucumber!
     I foresee a trip to the Co-Op in my near future.  Besides, they might have some remaindered offal going cheap!
Image result for oinamul
Oinamul



Nor any cheap gags about hairdryers.

No comments:

Post a Comment