Search This Blog

Sunday 29 October 2017

Tim Hortons Hears A Who

I Think That's Pretty Clever, Myself
Although there is also the risk of being too clever.  I shall probably have to explain away my cleverness, which is something I quite enjoy.  
     So.  Premise the first.  We here at BOOJUM! are continuing our policy of having daily titles that pun on tea, principally, and also coffee, as they apply to film titles.  Can't have you getting stale and complacent, can we?  I've managed to sustain this for about seven weeks now, and am still amusing myself with the idea*.
Related image
The Cyberman prototype needed tweaking
     Premise the second.  "Tim Hortons" (no apostrophe) is a variety of coffe-and-cake shop that originated in British America, and which has expanded with an international footprint.  Yay British Americans!  I recall the Bad Astronomer (who also goes by the name Phil Plait) posting a photo of a Tim Hortons on Instagram when he crossed the border into Canada British America, stating that now he knew he was in Canada British America.
Image result for tim hortons
Evidence
     Premise the third.  There is an animated film version of Dr. Seuss's "Horton Hears A Who".  Art?
Image result for horton hears a who
Perhaps he was just - er - trunk?
     There.  You may now stand back in moderate awe at my title for today.
     I think that's enough verbiage to count as an Intro. Let us encase the motley in a giant plastic ball and hurl it onto the Thames!

The World's Most Boring Hobby
I suppose I do have some competition from pylon-spotters and Test Card F fans.  I shall, however, not be denied in asserting that this is a very dull hobby indeed.  One for the anoraks with loooong attention spans.
     "Tell us about it!" I hear you chanting, over the sound of the pistachios you are eating.  be careful with the shells and dispose of them properly, they hurt if you stand on them. 
Image result for pistachio tree
Nuts.
 "For we are keen to know what you, scribe of dubious habits and even more dubious interests, consider dull beyond belief."
     Oh, go on then.  It is - IMDB Film Goofs Auditing!  One takes a film that is available on DVD, fires it up and then compares the film itself with the Goofs listed against it on the IMDB website.
     I can hear your minds glazing over.  It's not as straightforward as you might think. The Goofs are listed in completely random order, and there are often duplicates present, so Conrad copies them into Word, removes things mentioned more than once, and tries to put it into chronological order.
     From last night the film in question is "The Longest Day".  Art?
Image result for the longest day
Certainly one of the longest films
     I note from my notes that it was last touched in June 2016.  Quite the hiatus!
     I instantly noticed a goof that nobody else has.  The opening scene has a civilian being pursued over an open field by an SS officer in a staff car.  As the camera pulls back slightly, you can see the tyre tracks made in the grass by the camera vehicle, as it paces the running actor.
     I didn't take a photo, so you'll just have to trust me on this.  I have an honest face**.

Fratricide
Not in the biblical sense of Cain slaying Abel, rather in the sense of a target population turning on itself, folks doing their very best to finish each other off.
     My musings on this were triggered by watching both iterations of "The Crazies".  You'll notice in both versions that the crazies were only attacking the non-crazy townsfolk.
Image result for the crazies
Case in point
     How does this work?  The director may have an explanation in the commentary for the remake, or not.
     Does what pass for a thought process in the mind of the infected recognise fellow infectees, and give them a free pass?  "They're as bonkers as I am - better leave them alone."
     This is a valid question of zombie films, too.  I may come back to this.
Image result for zombie
If that's okay?
     Excuse me whilst I interrupt the creative process and go put some chicken in the oven.

     <minutes elapse>

     Okay, don't let me forget it.  Where were we?  Okay, that's mention of zombies out of the way.  Now for - TANKS!
Image result for tanks
The Nazis are doomed, I tell you!
     In fact that's not four superhumans lifting a 30-ton tank.  It's actually a rubber inflatable, deployed out in the open by the hundred prior to D-Day (a.k.a. The Longest Day), there to be seen by any Luftwaffe reconnaissance aircraft that happened to be stooging by.
Image result for tanks
For clarity

*  Your mileage may vary, but I'm the one who matters, here.
**  Some would debate this <the awful truth courtesy Mister Hand>

No comments:

Post a Comment