Search This Blog

Saturday 14 October 2017

Tea-Leaving Las Vegas

I Thought That One Up All By Myself
Tea hee.  So to speak. Well well, here I am at lunchtime in the Dark Tower, hard at work.  I rashly thought it might be a bit quieter today than the insane telephonic scrum of the working week - not a bit of it.  So your humble scribe is hammering away madly at his keyboard, madly I tell you!
     Where to begin?  I prefer to start at the end, see how it turned out, imagine what happened in the middle and check the bibliography, ticking off all the ones I already have.  But that might just be me  <checks> yes it is.
     Righto!  I have just finished "Gaudy Night" by Dorothy L. Sayers - see how I pedantically retain that "L" for the benefit of all the hair-splitters out there - and it really is more a Harriet Vane novel than a Lord Peter Wimsey one. 
Image result for harriet vane
Cutting a rug
(As the saying goes: I have no aptitude myself)

 He pops up sporadically until about three-quarters of the way through, when he becomes more of a fixture.  Up to then, if you happen to be one of those unfortunates born outside the bounds of The Allotment of Eden*, it is a fascinating look into the academic establishment at Oxford University, with it's arcane habits and customs.  Conrad your humble scribe is rather peeved at O' Harri's attitude towards Lord P. as she continually rejects his offers of matrimony and gets into snits about his attitude.  Women, eh?  Dammit, the old chap is so witty, handsome and clever that even I'd marry him.
Image result for monstrous regiment of women
Oh dear.  I appear to have offended some people with that crack about women.


     - hang on, let me just check if Ben Folds is still alive - Phew!  He is - it was only a gallstone, not an alien tunnelling it's way out of his innards -

     I must remind myself to pop into Fopp! after work, because I still haven't got the Public Service Broadcasting platter "Every Valley", and I'm off to see them Monday.  Erk!

I Say!
If it's Saturday, those teeth fastened in my nethers must belong to the Coincidence Hydra <sighs> and I thought we were going to escape this week.
     "Why, what is this metaphorical monster up to this time?" I hear you ask.  Also "I bet he has trouble sitting down now."  <Conrad's eyes narrow dangerously>.
     Well, of late this week I have been playing The The's "This Is The Day", with it's corking accordion breaks, and "Giant", with Zeke Manyika's powerhouse percussion performance.  What do we see on a website yarking on about the "25 Stupidest Band Names"?  Art!

     There were more entries.  I don't agree with their selection of Mott the Hoople, although that may be due to the fact that one has already grown accustomed to the title before really pausing to analyse it.  Agree with Toad The Wet Sprocket, though.
    
The Haul
I don't know if I'd categorise this as a Coincidence.  If so, it must be the Coincidence Bag Of Straweberries And Bottled Beer, rather than that wretched multi-necked monster.  Art?

     I saw the remake a couple of years ago, which is good, because if I'd seen it a decade ago, that would offend the laws of causality, since it only came out in 2010.  On the other hand, I do know a chap with a TARDIS ...
     Got both of them from the RSPCA charity shop in Royton for a whole English £1, which has to be a bargain of sorts.  I saw the original many decades ago, and am enjoying watching it.
     Here an aside - there is a short list of Goofs against the original over on IMDB but nobody - nobody! - has spotted the most obvious one.  The troops in their Hazmat suits are all carrying the Korean-era M1 carbine, which would have been fine in 1953.  Except this film is set in 1973 and they ought to be carrying the M16**!

More Of Words - Cross Ones
I must get this one in.  Doing the MEN's Cryptic Crossword, there was 17 across: "Does he beat the air angrily to solve his problems?" (9,3).  I got:  _R_S_W_R_,F_ _
     Which took a minute or two to get.  I shall allow you to stew a bit before you check the answer in the asterisked entries below***.
     No cheating!

Finally -
I remember this from History at school.  A possible inspiration?
Image result for motte
Well the Bailey is kinda hoop-shaped ...

*  As it is dry today
**  Even !!  But not !!! as that would imply levels of hysteria only found on the European continent amongst the hot countries.
***   "Crossword Fan" - yikes!






No comments:

Post a Comment