Search This Blog

Saturday 7 October 2017

The Lyons King

I Should Probably Explain
I don't always, and don't get the idea that this is going to happen every time.  You might get intellectually lazy.  Besides that, here's a spaceship drawn by Moebius.  art?
Image result for moebius machine
For there are some of you out there who do not reside in the Pond Of Eden, as I do*.   Lyons is a brand of tea, which Art will now prove, if he can put down his plate of coal.
Image result for lyons tea
See tea

     They were also responsible for running sex dens of depravity that were known as "tea rooms" - as if that fooled anyone!
     None of this has anything to do with the Euromillions Lottery, which folks at work were discussing yesterday.  Conrad is not familiar with lotteries, although waiting for First Bus to arrive or not is, I believe, a similar process.  Generally I do not gamble, because if I spend money, I want something to show for it.
     The prize total for this (month's?  Week's?  Day's?) lottery is apparently £168 million.  It might be in Euros not pounds sterling but at a total that large it doesn't really matter which it is, and anyway BOOJUM! proudly refuses to use metric measurements if it can possibly use British Imperial ones.  Alex and Nicola had both bought tickets for this event, and Conrad got to wondering what the odds are against winning.
Image result for europe
Europe.  Where the history comes from.

     Pretty high! it turns out.  The population of Europe totals some 734 million, and if we calculate only one in every ten plays, that's still 73 million folks competing with you.  We shall ignore the complication of multiple tickets per person.
     Of course Conrad cannot win this lottery, but if I did ...

If I Won The Lottery -
Rather than "If I Ruled The World", because that's a "When" not an "If". 
     I would need a warehouse to hold the book collection that would rapidly be amassed.  This is because I would have a standing order with Naval & Military Press and Waterstones, for any new military history books to be delivered monthly to me.
This would be but the beginning!
     The job would have to go, of course.  Your humble scribe simply cannot comprehend those folks who look forward to retirement with dread, as he could easily fill twenty-five hours of the day with entirely non-work things.
     I would need a chef; can't waste valuable reading time by having to cook.  A housekeeper would also be essential, as cleaning and laundering are tiresome yet essential chores, and she could clean up after chef.  A chauffeur would also be vital; if I have to travel anywhere I want to be able to do the crossword, make notes or read, preferably without killing other road-users.  
     I would also hire a research chemist to come up with a new drug that reduces or eliminates or reduces the need to sleep, as I really object to having to spend a third of the day in bed, sleeping.
     The Comsat Angels would also get an anonymous donation of £1,000,000 because they deserve it.  
Image result for the comsat angels
Very much so

Image result for russell brand zombie
A good start.
On the other hand, I would hire a team of crack hackers and internet saboteurs to make miserable the lives of <checks list of People I Dislike> - I think I'd start with Russell Brand.       There would also be a house purchased on the South Canadian's Californian coast, where they have summers that are actually summers, rather than ten months of slutch.  This would also allow me to acquire an arsenal of those weapons I have read about exhaustively yet never so much as held.  Lee-Enfield .303, Lewis Gun, C96 Mauser pistol, etcetera, etcetera ...
     Wow, this thought experiment has been fun!

Hello Hello, You Must Be The Coincidence Hyrda
That, or his very close cousin.  I have had trouble sitting down of late, thanks to one of the creatures having it's teeth in my posterior.  On Pub Quiz night - we won twice, thanks for asking - what did Janet ask?  (she's the landlady, not some stranger brought in at random).
     "What is Oolong?"
     O Rly?  A quick check of the blog titles for the past month shows that we've used this very substance as a title = "The Oolongest Day".
     There must be an explanation for all these things happening to me.  Phil?
Image result for philip k dick
"It's the aliens, Conrad.  The other aliens."
     Gee, thanks for the reassurance, Phil.  Piker.  I'm glad he got abducted.



*  We feel your pain

No comments:

Post a Comment