Search This Blog

Thursday 26 January 2017

Wherewith Of Words

I Could Be Kidding Myself
Perhaps not.  I presume that one of the reasons folks from all over the world read BOOJUM! is that we use odd, unusual, obsolete or long words that you can subsequently drop into conversation, making yourself seem effortlessly cool.  Certainly not on account of being a shining example of humanity at it's finest*.  Nor a model of elegant restraint at the dining table.
When I bother with a table, that is.
     Thus I feel a little embarassed at being bested by yesterday's Cryptic Crossword.  Conrad sort of shake his head in bemusement at the Cryptic clue and solution.  "It makes truce into truth (4)" was the clue, and I even had two of the letters:  L_S_
     No, I shan't tell you what it was, instead I shall hide the answer somewhere in the body of today's post, so you'll have to read the whole lot to discover the truth**!
     Now, if I can once again resort to crosswords, let me immediately change the subject to that of the Station-master, whom I mentioned yesterday in relation to Johnny Morris and "Animal Magic" and parrots.  You remember that?  You'd better, there's penalties for missing a post.
     So, what do we see this morning as a solution to the Cryptic?  Art!
7 Across
     There you have it, "Stationmaster".  Another instance of that damnable Coincidence Hydra dining on my buttocks.
     You may also have noted the modest notation of "15 mins" which is how long it took me to solve today's Cryptic.  Some days, I'm just on fire***

Can You Dig It Ally?
"Ally" in the sense of a confederate, since I don't know anyone called Ally.
     I refer, of course, to the i-pod, that marvel of the Twenty-First Century.  For reasons inexplicable to me now, at the weekend I tried to get the 'Shuffle' function to work whilst the Beautiful Box Of Tricks was docked in the Player.  Unsuccessfully.
Image result for pea pod
A pod.  Close enough.
     Or so I thought^.  Yesterday, on the bus and listening to blistering Norwegian satanic death-metal - oh alright, Keane, are you happy now - the shuffle function engaged.  Fickle as the wind, I was no long desirous of a random song selection, only to find that you can only set or re-set this function by using the remote when the i-pod is docked in the player.
     Grrrrr!  Also Bah!
     It is the little things, really.

The More Things Change -
I recall one of the very short posts from BOOJUM!'s early days, something about being middle-aged, and if I can just jiggle the space-time continuum a little - hang on -

You Know You're Middle-Aged When:

1)  You get childishly excited about your new Kenwood Ice Cream Maker
2)  Your mobile died a week ago and you never noticed
3)  You write your clocking-in times in a diary instead of Outlook
4)  You associate the word "Kindle" with something to be thrown on a fire
5)  You don't recognise any single-name "Celebrities" on the BBC's "Entertainment" page
6)  You do simple arithmetic faster than the youths around you (they don't have the app!)
7)  Your pile of Books To Be Read, stacked one atop the other, is higher than your house
8)  You realise that, sadly, you are never going to make it as an astronaut - ever
9)  Your savings account is actually a scruffy tin pot containing £2,500 in cash
10)  Some kind soul gives up their seat on the tram for you  :(
   
     Well well Linda Darnell, as true today as it was three and a half years ago.  Oh, except for that bit about the tram.  Apparently I don't look fragile or wistful enough to merit any milk of human kindness.

Now That We've Done A Bit Of Padding -
 - although it's quality padding, none of your vapid witless babble (we leave that to The Metro) I shall post that crossword solution.
     "LISP".
     Surely one of the slyest clues ever?

Day 26 Of Sober For January
Just to ring my own bell and blow my own trumpet.  Today will be the last Pub Quiz that I attend sober, always a cautionary experience as those around me seek to empty the Pleasant's cellar.  Of course I never drink that much beer when in play, as it it necessary to remain at least partly compos mentis in terms of mental agility and physical reaction speed.  Rest assured that I will be letting you know what the state of play was later on.
     O yes indeed!
Image result for pub cellar
A pub cellar.  Looks like a load of Daleks at lunchtime.

*  For a start, I'd need to be human.
**  Do you see what I did there?  Mwah hah hah!
***  Nothing to do with burns or Burns Night.
^  Did you like that dramatic paragraph pause?

No comments:

Post a Comment