Search This Blog

Sunday 23 October 2016

Slightly Mollified

No!  That's Not An Euphemism For "Drunk"
Sober for (most of) October, remember?  Clearly I haven't been boasting enough about this willful avoidance of the alcohol if that wasn't obvious.  Day 23, since you ask, with the end date of Saturday October 29th looming on the horizon.
     No, I refer to my somewhat acid comments yesterday on how few - HOW FEW! - people there were bothering to read the noble lines that greet your sight.  There are more readers today, hence the "mollified" bit.  
     "I wish he'd stop using these obscurantist words that nobody actually speaks anymore," I hear you quibble.  Leaving aside the mocking irony of your use of "obscurantist", I shall proceed to explain.  "Mollify" comes from the Latin "Mollis", which means "soft" in the sense of being malleable, like clay.  From there we get the French "Mollifier" and hence to "Mollify", in the sense of making less severe by softening.
     Not that things won't be extremely severe when my starship invasion fleet gets here.  The only thing that's going to save your descendents is by their claiming ancestral familiarity with BOOJUM!  So you have only anothe 231 years to get your excuses ready.
Image result for molly malone
Molly-defaced.  Close enough
     Where was I?  Oh yes, blathering on as usual.  Let us continue in the same fashion.

Game Of Thrones
If I include this in today's post. it will be okay to shout it aloud to the world when I promote BOOJUM! on Facebook and Twitter, won't it?
     I have just finished watching Episode 5 of Season 5 (Sons of the Harpy), and must once again bemoan - I'm not going to apologise for my musical tastes - the entire lack of BAGPIPES!  Not even a Mittel-European equivalent (which would be the dudelsack) amongst the sackbuts and lutes, for heaven's sake!
Image result for sentient bagpipe
"BAGPIPES!  NOW!"
     For your information, I am now up to the point where I caught occasional episodes as Wonder Wifey et al were watching them whilst eating tea last year.  They are thus spared my incessant questioning about 'Who's that?' 'Why are they -' 'What is that?' 'Where is that?'
     One other significant absence I note in a series that's not shy of showing naked people, squalor or gore, is the horse droppings.  There simply aren't any.  Given the number of horses running around in this mythical landscape, one would expect the streets to - well, I leave it to your imagination, which is what the producers seem to do as well.


Jim'll Paint It
I shall have to keep this particular illustration on the small-and-undefined scale, as it features some frankly shocking activities.
Apparently this is Jim's new favourite band
    I can see that one might have trouble at South Canadian customs if you try bringing this into their fair country, because it appears to encourage arson, and as you well know, arson fire is a criminal offence in the Land of the Free.
     Let us instead cleanse our mental palates with a more salubrious picture that Jim has done.  Art?
Probably drawn from life
     Jim said he'd lost all his Facebook posts, due to a mysterious glitch, which - according to the picture - was due to Mark Zuckerberg's plan for World Domination.  
     Tut!  Pure speculation, I specifically warned Mark in my seminars NOT to have a wall-chart that ever mentioned the "D" word.

Matter Scatter!
If you retain anything of recent import in the blog, you will recall Conrad's gleeful introduction of a new player in the field of making things go BANG - anti-matter.  This stuff is so deadly a single gram goes off with the effect of 43,000 tons of TNT.
     Conrad, of course, is a creature of curiosity above all else and wondered how you could use AM as, say, the filling in a hand grenade?
Image result for hand grenade to scale
A hand grenade, with hand for scale.
     The mathematics rather militate* against it.  One-thousandth of a gram would still go off with the force of 43 tons of TNT, meaning that you'd never get beyond blast range unless you were an Olympic athlete who could run for nearly three hours.
     Still, one to minus eighth power grams would have only the explosive yield of a kilo of explosive, which is still pretty large for a hand grenade, as well as being a literally microscopic amount.  The container would need to be appreciably bigger, or you'd be forever losing it in your loose change.
Image result for nuclear explosion
"Where are my keys - oops!!"
Finally
I'm not sure how to caption this, so I shall just put it out there for your imagination to get to grips with:
Image result for sentient bagpipe
Cat-erwauling?

* Do you see - O you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment