Search This Blog

Sunday 2 October 2016

Organ Swell

First Of All, Wash Out Your Dirty Minds!
Allow me, with this Rivet Gun Of Truth, to drive home the fact that BOOJUM! is actually SFW <BANG BANG BANG> I think that ought to do it.  I could also have added "Choir" "Great" and "Pedal" to the title.  Although that might not have caught people's attention quite so much ...
     "Oh!" I hear you respond, a little shame-facedly.  "You are referring to the church organ, as at the Church Organ World event?"
     Yes I am you gutter-gliding ordure-otters.  Conrad went into the event knowing precious little about the organ, and came out far better informed.  Pedals, manuals, stops and pipes was about the sum total of my knowledge.  Now, I am going to illustrate the title.  Art?
Image result for makin windermere organ
Behold
     Those items on the left and right are the stops, and you can't see the pedals as the bench is in the way.  The keyboards are the "manuals" and this is a 4-manual organ.  The different manuals are entitled: Swell, Choir, Great and Pedal.
     This is the same variety of organ as Makin's showroom model, which has just been sold to a private purchaser.  I know what you're thinking - "Gosh the neighbours will hate him in short order!"  Not necessarily so, not necessarily so.  The Makin engineers who go out to install these organs also "voice" them individually, that is, they conform and profile the organ according to the acoustics of wherever it's being installed.  Church, cathedral or Uncle Vanya's living room, and they can ensure that you, the offended neighbour, do not resort to a Council Noise Abatement Order.
     Well, enough of the Intro, let's crack on!

Alas What I Cannot Have
I may have inferred in passing, not being explicit or anything, that I've given up alcohol for October, just to keep you informed. Not boasting or anything, or at least not yet*. 
     So it was with a sense of irony that I took the following photo on Thursday.  Art?

     This is one of the murals that have appeared along the Ancoats road artery, by whom and to what purpose - unknown.  They do brighten up a blank brick building, tho', don't they?

25 Things
And once again Conrad resorts to Mike and his list of 25 Things The British Do More Awesomely Than The Americans**.  Nobody can dispute the next one:

     Absolutely not.  Despite the recent invasion of coffee shops - which also still find they have to sell tea AS WELL - tea is the most important liquid in the UK, more important than petrol or beer, that's how important it is.
     Mike hilariously describes American teas as "Big, cold and full of diabetes" but since I didn't consume any when I was over there (sticking to Mountain Dew) I can't comment.  I can tell you that at the outset of the Second Unpleasantness the British Government immediately bought up the entire Indian tea harvest for the duration, because if there's no beer you can drink whisky, and if there's no petrol you can use horses, but if there's no tea - !
     I can also tell you I've had about 4 pints of tea today.  Conrad - practicing what he preaches.

I Say I Say What Did I Eat Today?
Quite a bit, actually.  I wondered if my appetite had gone south recently as I've been eating less, meaning that I retain my boyish figure.  Well, my figure.  So I decided to list what I'd had today, and remember the night's not over yet.

1 x Jam doughnut
2 x toasted muffins
2 x packs mini-Jaffas
2 x small packets ready-salted crisps
2 x pickled gherkins
10 x rice crackers
hummus
1 x cornetto
1 x 8" pizza
1 x fistful dark chocolate mint creams

     So you see, barely enough to keep body and soul together.  Now, once I've posted this there are still four tubs of ice-cream going that really need to be used.
Image result for pizza
One of the four basic food groups, am I right?
I'm Not Entirely Sure About This -
As you should know by now, I no longer bother to mock and humiliate either Facebook or Twitter about their bizarrely inappropriate Suggested Posts - hey, their share value was affected! - so this post isn't a complaint, merely a - a - well, bemused observation, I suppose.  Art?
Yes, quite
     This appears to be promoting an animated Chinese film, from what I can tell.  That's a bit of a guess, as the majority of the text here is Chinese, which I cannot read.  AT ALL.  Thus leading to a sense of wonderment at how, exactly, Facebook decided I liked this.  They did, after all, send Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer and an avowed agnostic at the very least, a Suggested Post about Astrology Tee Shirts.

And on that note I shall bid you farewell!



*  You will be heartily sick of this gloasting by 29th October <the bitter truth courtesy Mister Hand>
**  We will drop the hilarious in-joke of "South Canada" for this one

No comments:

Post a Comment