Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 October 2016

Red Onion Chutney!

Both As Metaphor And Concrete Condiment
Perhaps "Sauce" is closer, or even "Relish", rather than "Condiment".  I know this appears to be a minor point but I do pride myself on obsessively accurate descriptions.
     "What is the poisonous old sot on about - oh, no, hang on, he's going sober this month, isn't he?  The Red Cross Appeal for his Hepatic Health or something.  Okay, he's not drunk, just an idiot.  Apparently," I hear you comment in the most hurtful way, or it would hurt if I cared about the opinion of a load of gutter-gliding ordure otters*.
Image result for evil otter
Oooh.  Darth Vader feels jealous
     If you have been paying attention - if you have it will save your life later on - then you will be aware that Conrad is off on leave, which means binge-watching Archer and Game of Thrones, reading, annotating, walking Edna, drinking copious amounts of tea and making idiosyncratic notes for BOOJUM!  However, there's no time pressure or constraints as there normally would be during the working week, where I have to be efficient.  So, I keep thinking "What's the recipe for Red Onion Chutney?" without actually looking it up.  On the internet, at least, since I have scried amongst my cookery books to no avail.
Image result for red onion chutney
Forlorn and forgotten
     Yes yes yes, I am getting to the point!  My point - which will be sharpened to a needle point and impressed into your gluteus maximus if you keep interrupting - is that were it a working day I'd be making a note to self on the bus journey into The Electric Goldfish Bowl, or at lunchtime, or when travelling home, and would then look it up.
     At present I just think 'Oh yes must look it up on teh interwebz - hang on, who composed the soundtrack for "Moon"?  Was it Clint Mansell?  I'll just check.  Oh!  Correct.  Now, about that clock mentioned by Montague Egg in "In the Teeth of the Evidence", just what kind was that?  Aha!  I remember where I heard that before -' and so on.
     Sometimes having a non-stop party going on in your head can have disadvantages.
Hard to hear this over the noises in my mind


"The Girl With All The Gifts"
Okay, it's been out for a while, but be warned that what follows is a bit SPOILERY.  So, if you don't want to know too much about it, skip to the next post.  I shall be oblique and tangential**, rather than bleating about the detailed plot points.

Okay?  Sure you want to carry on?

     Right.  I did warn you.  Everybody dies!  
     Ha!  Only joking.  Or am I ... Well, no, not really.  Anyway, at first I thought that the ending was incredibly bleak, then it redeemed itself.  Then I went away and thought about it, and reconsidered.  You may conceive of Mel and her matches to be an ultimately tragic ending, yet - NO!
Image result for the girl with all the gifts
Our protagonists
     The human race is on the way out and we've seen the evidence presented to us.  Hotel Echo, the airbase, is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by ten foot fencing, full of soldiers armed to the teeth.  Yet it is overwhelmed and destroyed by hungries.  When Sergeant Parks contacts Beacon, it, too, is falling apart.
     Hom. Sap. (you lot) is clearly doomed.  On the way out, so Mel is only really speeding up the process.  As Caldwell says, all it takes is a flood or a flashfire and - End Of Humanity.  It could already have happened elsewhere across the globe, only the wind currents haven't brought their payload over here yet.
     Even if Caldwell had come up with a vaccine, could it be mass-produced?  Distributed? And it wouldn't solve the major problem of tens of millions of hungries still up and running around.  Nor boost the surviving population.
     Like I said, on the way out.  The literal new dawn that TGWATG ends with is for Mel and her ilk, not for Hom. Sap.
Image result for the girl with all the gifts
And the - er - not-so-meek shall inherit the earth

Ken Adam's Sets
This, again, is a bit tangential, but we will get to the meat of the matter, honest.  Remember yesterday, when we mentioned British actors playing the villain?  A Hollywood trope, I said, so it's perhaps cheating a little bit to shoehorn James Bond in there, as this franchise is home-grown.  It has, possibly, made the bad guys a tad less anxious to attack the UK for fears of MI6 agents swarming out of the woodwork wielding laser-watches and rocket pens.
     Sorry, that's me being even more tangential.  Let us look at "Doctor No", where the titular villain is Joseph Wiseman, a British actor, playing someone Chinese IIRC.  
     Sorry again, that was a tangent to the original tangent.
     Ken Adam's sets for Doctor No!  let us see some!
Image result for ken adam sets doctor no
Possibly the world's most artistic prison cell
Image result for ken adam sets doctor no
Mad Scientist's Lab: Model 37
Image result for ken adam sets doctor no
Mad Scientist's Groovy Pad: pre-Austin Powers
Finally
Are we over count?  Oh.  Well over.  I shall then only add a few photos of Edna, as proof that I am discharging my Stewardly duties appropriately.  Art?
Edna pursuing treat on path (a.m.)
Barefoot, and collarless, in the park
Edna, rendered helpless by Tickle-fu!



* I know I've used this before but I like it, so it bears repetition.
** So, business as usual

No comments:

Post a Comment