Search This Blog

Sunday 5 July 2015

Are You Kidding? SRSLY!

I Do Apologise For Descending To Text-Talk
As I know my loyal audience of Russian squaddies sitting guarding the Big Red Buttons out under the Mountain of Evil have rather come to expect impeccable Received English in prose form -
Image result for russia evil mountain
My loyal audience
- but that bloody coincidence-hammer is bouncing off my head again.  
     "Yet Conrad!" I hear you cry.  "Aren't you just a fat old man having attacks of premature idiocy?"*
     No, no I am not.  Earlier this afternoon, whilst dog sitting, I decided to flick through one of the books I got at a car boot sale earlier this year: "The Normandy Landings" by Derek Blizard.  What struck my eye near the end?
Presto.
     Go see that rather splendid film "The Longest Day", and the bit featuring actor Richard Todd, who was actually there in real life as soldier Richard Todd, and the capture of Pegasus Bridge.
     This evening I open "Brewer's" and what is there on Page 1048, centre left hand column?
     Yes! "Pegasus"

That Party In Sankey
To celebrate Darling Daughter and Tom Terrific** moving into their Hep Cat Pad, Colin and Julie threw a party at Number 12, probably because they can now get rid of ten metric tonnes of crap that has accumulated over Tom's lifetime.  This, I have to explain, is the Student-Parent Lifestyle Waltz; my parents experienced*** it with me, moving exponentially-increasing amounts of crap between Home and other locations.
     Here we have Darling Daughter, bravely wearing fancy dress that cannot easily be removed:
She-Hulk?
     And here we see some of the liquid refreshment, which was actually quite nice to taste, if not so much to see:
Actually it tasted quite nice.  For poison

So, so alimentary
    Let's see - we met Jeff, Norma, Sue, Ced, Edith, Tina, Sarah, Joe, Karen and Carol, not forgetting Peggy the dog, whom Colin memorably described as "not being biased - she hates you all equally".
     I should point out that Colin paints pictures, which he routinely condemns, the rascal, as your humble scribe has trouble drawing a straight line with a ruler.  I should have taken photos.

A Repost From 2 Years Ago
This is when I had only been in my current employer's pay for 3 months.  

In The Office
At last!  I have landed a desk right beside the window, and can now crank the Victorian windowpanes open in order to let fresh air buffet upon me.  This is no mere frivolity since my ability to fall asleep in hot, airless, stuffy environments was well known at Connexions.  My immediate manager's concern when the Director came to lecture us was to have me concealed out of direct line-of-sight of our Mighty Leader, because after half an hour I would fall asleep.  During more mundane office meetings those staff sat alongside me would be tasked with poking every so often with sharp objects, to ensure I was awake and aware.  In desperation I was selected to minute our meetings, which usually started at 3:30, but by 4:00 the minutes would look as if a dying, ink-stained slug had crawled across the page.
     But not at [Insert name of employer here]!  Not now I can get the temperature down to a comfortable 8 or 9 degrees C.  And yes, I would sit in the fridge if it were big enough.

     Well now, Abi - my manager at the time - is long gone.  She is the one who requested the Gigantic Carrot Cake I mentioned earlier this week.  Since we are now ensconced in the Electric Goldfish Bowl, there are no windows to open, although there is an office-wide air-con system that operates rather subtley in the background.  That it operates is evident when one exits the building, to an atmosphere that feels like standing next to the exhaust of a bus when revving it's engine.

A Legal Precedent
You, the general public and general viewer, might not be aware of "Skeptoid".
     No!  It is not a species of gelatin-free setting agent.  It is one of the social media personae of Brian Dunning.  Brian is one of a network of chaps - and chapesses - who seek to eradicate nonsense via scientific scrutiny, so if you honestly believe that the Arcturan micro-people are influencing human endeavour by way of focussed bursts of superwater coming out of the light sockets - you will probably want to move on.
Look at those numbers - 100. 200 and 300 episodes in the past
     Since Skeptoid has running shoes and a track to run on, let us look at this.  Not only does Skeptoid keep going, it has kept going for years - note please those 100, 200  and 500 historical post addendum.
     So you really shouldn't quibble at BOOJUM! showing you what went on here 230 days ago.

Chin chin!

* Thank you so much.  I'll get back to you on that, oh yes indeed.
** He is a splendid young chap, just possibly not one to want in-laws like us.
** A.k.a. "suffered"

No comments:

Post a Comment