Search This Blog

Friday 24 April 2015

Minding A Small Hyperactive Child. With Fangs

A.k.a. "Edna"
Our resident Wunderhund has been consigned - or condemned, your view may vary - to the care of Conrad whilst the erstwhile* crew of the Mansion are disporting themselves in foreign climes.  For nine whole days, even.

     Now, Edna is not really a problem whilst one is in the house with her.  She is a bit clingy, you might say, certainly in contrast to our cat, who is quite content to sit on Conrad's upholstery in the Upstairs Lair for hours at a time.  
Cat, static for at least 3 hours
Not so Edna.  Unless sulking with you, she intends to be in close personal contact for every waking minute.  This made our transit to Royton and the delivery of a prescription rather fraught, with a whole lot of canine wailing going on.  I know that dogs suffer in hot cars, but the sun had gone in, both quarter-lights were open and I was only gone 9 minutes.  To judge by Edna's response, the RSPCA would be charging Conrad with "Reckless abandonment for 9 days duration."


"The World At Arms"
I have mentioned my Very Best Mate who runs the bookstall on Church Street Market before.  The thing is, I've not been there for ages as he's shut by the time I get out of work, and I've been too early at recent weekend visits (opening times are From Whenever I Feel Like until I'm Going Home).
     Anyway, I caught him last week, open between 12:30 and 12:35, and bought the "Readers Digest World At Arms" about the Second World Unpleasantness.  At only £1 for a great big hardback, how could I quibble?
     It appears that some of the editorial staff were not pleased, happy nor satisfied with the cover design, as witness this Addendum:
Conrad don't care.  It only cost him £1!

"The Quiet Earth"
This is a Kiwi film from 1986 that bears watching.  Low budget but inventive, you don't know if Zac Hobson is alive and alone in the world, dead and alone in Purgatory, or if he's crossed the boundaries between this reality and other ones.  The final shot really makes you question what came before, going from contemporary New Zealand to -
The Quiet Earth (1985) Poster
Wherever this is.
(Hint: not Kansas)
     I mention this as I was reminded of it at the end of "The Signal"**, where you get a shot that instantly redefines everything else you've seen up to that point.  Similar film experiences would be the ending of "Planet Of The Apes" (original version), for shock value.

Tonight's Tea
I made Fish Doria, which is an Italian recipe I last had about 40 years ago, and I must have enjoyed it to remember and recall across the decades.  I think it was last made for my 10th birthday.  Here we have the 2015 version:

     The only problem is that this for 4 people, and Conrad - greedy as he is - cannot manage all this tonight.
     Nor is that all!  Half of yesterday's "Sweet Potato and Spam" fry-up is still waiting to be et.  And there's a defrosted Black Pudding Sausage.  And a tub of haddock goujons to be finished.  Not to mention the remaining Leek and Orange soup.
     O what's a man to do!

Today's Edna Picture File
This is as much about informing the pining Wonder Wifey, people, as it is about entertaining your good selves.  As I type Edna is asleep at my feet.  Anyway, let's begin:
Edna, retrieving ball

     This first few seconds went well.  Then we had:
Edna, dropping ball
     I couldn't take photos of the subsequent rally, as Edna brought the ball back but failed to drop it, forcing me to try and catch it out of her mouth - impossible! - or pounce upon it when her jaws tired.
     Then we had the Tuggy Bone Session, which Conrad can do with one hand whilst reading with the other, viz:
Sorry, this is a bit wimpy, isn't it?
Try again -
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
   Aha, much better.  Bordering on scary, in fact.  Well, that would be the case, were Edna not disposed to collapse on Conrad's lap:
Comfortable Cushiony Conrad
     She did perk up early this evening, and took on her traditional enemy, the Cylindrical Blue Cushion:
It is as big as her.
     She still hasn't figured a way to carry it out of the Upstairs Lair if the door is open only slightly -
Not so much "Immovable Force" as "How Do I?"

* I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but it sounds good.
** Conrad is not getting paid for promoting this film.  Just so we're clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment