Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 June 2021

The Stars And Gripes

Bear With Me

First of all, Your Humble Scribe is typing this out at lunchtime, because he's on a late shift and doesn't finish until 18:00, and also because it's the Big Shop Day, and I won't get to sit down until 20:00 at the earliest.  So, a little pre-amble helps.  There is an up-side to this, because by the time I get to Morrison's all the remaindered food is on display, doing it's best to crawl off the shelves.

Or out of the tin

     The struggle then is to keep it hidden away at the back of the fridge so it doesn't get 'tidied away' when it's actually - hmmmm - 'maturing', shall we say.  Yeah, maturing so it tastes even better a few days later.

     ANYWAY that, of course - obviously! - has nothing to do with Camille Flamarrion.  I know you're thinking "Who?" because I did, too.  Another of those occasions when a word pops up in the old mental flotsam, unbidden.  Camille, it turns out, was a French astronomer, and if Art doesn't want the electric pitchfork again ...

Cammy looking Flammy

     Flammy had impeccable astronomical chops, being an astronomer, which is one of the basic requirements of having impeccable astronomical chops.  He also possessed a bushy beard and effulgent hair, which admittedly have little to do with astronomy but are great for that 'slightly demented scientist' look. Art!

"No time for haircuts!"

     What makes him more interesting is not his works of popular science, nor his occasional ventures into science-fiction, but his interest in and practice of spiritualism, which is about the diametrical opposite of having impeccable scientific chops, and an unusual stance then and since.  There is a famous engraving associated with him (I say 'famous' yet I've never seen it before) - Art!

"The Mirror Of Erised Life"

     The real question here, as it so often is, has to be why this character, who has been dead for 96 years, suddenly decided to make an appearance in my head.  Answers on a postcard please.

     Motley!  I wish to indulge in my appreciation of the spirit world.  Another bottle of Grey Goose!


O You Don't Get Away That Easily

Ringo and Macca were doubtless heaving a sigh of relief UNTIL SUDDENLY THE DREAD WORDS 'A LITTLE MUSICAL CRITIQUE' appeared as if from nowhere, man.  Because there's another verse of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" that we have yet to pummel plentifully.  Let the excoriation begin!

Picture yourself on a train in a station
Which station?  Where?  How did we get here from the beach?  Do we have first-class tickets?  Tell me!
Careful, you can't trust steam trains.
With plasticine porters with looking-glass ties
Excuse me, a  porter made of plasticine would be structurally unable to carry out any carriage of heavy luggage.  And the ties are a breakable safety hazard.
Unless he means this?
Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile
I HAVE A VALID TICKET AND AN HONEST FACE
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes
Her again?  This is clearly a case of stalking, sir, and I shall seek an injunction!

     There, I can hear muted weeping in the background, so we shall call a stop here.  This is all the verses dealt with, anyway, since there's only endless repetition of the chorus.  See how I can be merciful in my judgements?



Harping and Carping

After all, we need to back up that "Gripes" part of today's blog, don't we?

     Yes we do, no arguing.  The Remote Nuclear Detonator returns from it's servicing tomorrow, which ends any arguments as of now.  So, from the latest annoying Codeword I have selected the following:

"Bonhomie": From the French, don't you know, "Bonn" meaning 'good' and "Homme" meaning 'man', the whole typifying exuberant friendliness.  REALLY IS THIS FAIR? 18TH CENTURY FRENCH?  I would suggest not, and that "IE" ending really threw me, so Your Humble Scribe was far from a picture of bonhomie when he solved that one.  Art!

He's even gooder-er - he's the best man.

"LARYNX": Conrad has a feeling he's fulminated about this solution in the past few months, so I really shouldn't bother complaining EXCEPT I WILL.  Because who expects one of the least-used letters of the alphabet in conjunction with another rarely-used one, in a six-letter word with only one vowel.  I bet it comes from the Greek, too, which I am too annoyed to bother looking up.

"Arrrr, close enough, Jim lad."

"APISH": YOU WHAT!  "Resembling an ape" says my Collins Concise.  Yes, well, if that was the case then you WOULD DOG BUNS WELL USE 'APELIKE' not this stupid manufactured word.  Resembling an ape?  These compilers resemble one of the demons from the middle circles of Hades!  Art!

It makes more sense to South Canadians

     We shall move on before my blood pressure causes my eyeballs to erupt from my cranium*.


Portrait Of The Artist As A Diligent Dog

Yes, not only have I been working until 18:00, Your Modest Artisan has done the weekly shop, brought it in, put it away, made his lunch for tomorrow, got the breakfast things ready and had a substantial meal as well.  There were four remaindered rib-eye steaks, and now there's only three.  Edna was hovering for a while, then gave up.  I feel I've achieved a little tonight.

Happy Conrad**

Only One Art-Themed Post Tonight

So nothing to do with either Blue Oyster Cult, nor W. Heath Robinson, tonight we deal with Mohammad Jilani, another artist on the roster for the 'Printed In Blood' event later this year.  This is an interesting introduction to a varied group of artists that Conrad had never heard of before, and might never have, were it not for our mutual interest in "The Thing".  Art!

CAUTION!  Not a comedy.

     He seems to do a lot of work on collectible cards, as well as what appear to be either commissioned art or stuff done just for his own enjoyment.  Art!

Time for bullets!

     He states he's a freelance-artist, so probably not working on any comic titles, at least none I could see in my brief sojourn around teh Interwebz.  Art!

How many can you identify?  I got all of them, of course.  Obviously.

Finally -

I think we shall come back to both plasticine and Terry Talks Movies, as there is mileage in both, even if I've not mentioned TTM today - look, I made notes last night about it and everything!

     But for now, we are most certainly done.  Chin chin!



*  A neat trick at parties, though it smarts a bit.

**  Marginally less scary than Angry Conrad

No comments:

Post a Comment