Search This Blog

Sunday 23 September 2018

Your Hair-splitting Pedant Is Back!

Not That I Was Ever Really Gone -
It's just that I think I've said all there is to be said about Atom Age sci-fi hand blasters, so I can dedicate myself to other, equally thrilling topics, like LITHIUM WAFER BATTERY DES - hmmm, maybe not that.
     Here's an aside.  I believe it has been theorised that the redcoated infantry of Perfidious Albion could have done more damage to the M83's at Waterloo if they had been using the longbow.  Art?
Image result for longbow
Thus
     This, Conrad believes, mirrors my contention that a Webley Mark VI (especially if you were using the now-illegal soft-nosed lead bullets) beats a phaser hands-down in a close-quarter firefight.  
     "Why didn't they use longbows, then?  Especially since it was Perfidious Albion's weapon of choice for centuries," I hear you ask.
     Pausing only to pick myself up off the floor at your asking an intelligent question with no insults or sarcasm - are you feeling okay? - I shall explicate.
     Because it takes years of practice to develop the upper-body strength required to become a proficient toxophilist,* whereas it takes about ten minutes to learn how to use a musket.
Image result for musketoon
Actually a musketoon.  Still the same principle.
     Also, you can stick a bayonet - itself a weapon with it's name originating in the land of the M83s - on a musket, which makes horses and other soldiers reluctant to get within pig-sticking range.
     Now to sit the motley down and give it some tea and cakes.
     Toadstool tea and cyanide cakes!

I Have Given Up
Not on life; I've got all those books to arrange for one thing, and then about 20 lever arch files full of hard copy offprints to read, before even starting back on the wargaming, and Season 6 of The Rockford Files to watch - living the dream, eh?**
     No, I refer to Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice.  Art?
Image result for frozen concentrated orange juice
FCOJ
     It seems the only way to get hold of this stuff is to order it from South Canada, where any PC nonsense about "health" or "natural" is treated with the contempt it so richly deserves.
     I can't afford that: I need all my money to buy books!  Anyway, I have bitten the bullet - there you go, another musket reference, as it means to bite down on a lead ball as used in musket ammunition, in order to deal with excruciating pain - 
     Where was I?
     Oh yes - so I have looked up another recipe for Yoghurt and Orange Cake that doesn't require boiling and reducing a pan of orange juice for several hours.  We shall see how it goes.
Image result for yogurt and orange cake
Stock photo.  The Mansion does not sport fancy china cups like those!

Meanwhile, here we have -
Image result for easels
Easels.
(This will make sense if you came here via Facebook or Twitter)


Answers To Questions You Never Even Thought Of Asking
I did warn you that the pedant is back, and Yes!  We are back picking the nits out of "Unanswerable Thunderbird Questions", because whilst they do make some good points, they also strike out a lot more frequently.  Let us begin the roasting!

     Yes and?  Do you realise how many aircraft have to make belly-landings because their undercarriage will not work, or has already collapsed?
     (In other words, I myself have no idea but cannot be bothered to check and so leave the leg-work and investigation to your good selves).  Next!


     I think they answer their own question WITH THE FIRST PHOTO.  Do you see how the control room is on a slant?  Not level?  Far from horizontal?  In the second photo you can see how the Sidewinder is indeed on a slant.  Not upside down, so the crew can still walk around their control room, even if they have to hold onto the furniture to move around.
     Bah!

    And now -
Image result for teasel
Teasels
(This will make sense if you came here via Facebook or Twitter)

Hmmm.  Your humble scribe is feeling a tad peckish, it being many hours since breakfast.  Sadly there is no bread left, so my daily constitutional into Royton now becomes a necessity.  All we need is a short article to finish this afternoon's blog off.  What can we come up with?  Aha - got it -

Er - These Weasels May Not Be Your Friends, Quite
As you should surely know by now, Conrad used to try to promote and generally rehabilitate the much-maligned weasel, before he took on the much more demanding task of doing the same for sharks.  Just out of mischief I Googled "Weasels of Doom", never expecting any results: weasels are our friends, right?
Image result for weasels of doom
Wrong!
     I don't think that's actually a weasel; possibly a ferret or mink?  Which only sharpens the pain.  Mum and Dad would not be pleased!
Image result for rabid weaselImage result for rabid weasel
                Mum                                   Dad

 - and with that, we are gone -


*  Archer.  I'm trying to boost my Reading Level over on Word Counter.
**  I can hear your jealous sighs from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment