Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 November 2016

Bat Man!

I May Be Overstating This
I mean, an exclamation mark?  Which thriller writer advised that you limit your exclamation marks to three per novel?  I can't remember.  More honoured in the breach here at BOOJUM! I assure you.
     "What is he going off on one about now?"  I can hear you quote.  "Because Celebrity Pointless is on soon."
     Wellllllll I'm not talking about Dracula -
Image result for pathetic dracula
Good, because he's been done to death - er - so to speak
     - nor am I banging on about Bruce Wayne's alter-egg*, either.  Art?
Image result for batman
Yes, he works out a lot
     I am in fact referring to the second part of my John Carpenter gig review, a gig on the "Release The Bats" tour.  So, that's where the title comes from.
     Now that the ice is broken, let's move on with the rotley. Rotley, commence!

Dateline:  Saturday October 29th 2016
It took a long time for the band to arrive on stage, by which time your aged hipster's feet, legs and back were all protesting at such cruel and unusual punishment.  But enough of me, you're not here to read about an old man complaining.  
     The set began with "Escape From New York", and because I was right up at the front I could hear the music perfectly and see all the video clips being shown.
That's John right there
     Followed by "Assault on Precinct 13", which as any fule kno is actually a Western transposed to urban Los Angeles.  Then we had a couple of "Lost Themes" tracks, followed by - can you guess?
I can't see John because of -
     "The Fog", gentle reader.  Choking dry ice fumes provided for punny atmosphere.  Then the lights went down, and when they came back up -
Effective!
     All the band members were wearing sunglasses, in a reference to "They Live", which you can see in the background.  All together now, "I've come to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."
     I've got one last photo, which can illustrate the "Lost Themes" tracks that got played, which are instantly recognisable as John Carpenter's music:

     Then we got "The Thing", "Big Trouble In Little China", "Halloween", "In The Mouth Of Madness", "Prince of Darkness" and to end, with a cautionary wag of the finger from John, "Christine".  Didn't bother me, I was going back home on the tram and the bus.

The More Things Change -
 - the more I hate First Bus.  This morning the 24 was late, though it was a double-decker and had The Metro, so two tick boxes out of three, which is about the best these bumbletucks can manage.
     For the next bit to make sense, please appreciate that your humble scribe always has his nose either in a book or a crossword whilst on the bus, thus meaning he takes little notice of what's going on around him.  Behaviour as usual, in other words.
Not a lot going on upstairs**, one suspects
     However, when the driver stopped and announced that everyone had to get off and board the 182 behind, my attention was picqued.  The reason is that the 24 was running so late it had broken the time-space continuum, causing matter to implode universally and bringing about the heat death of the universe fifteen billion years early***.
     What really takes the biscuit, however, is this day exactly one year ago, when five 409 buses went sailing past my stop without - o the hilarious irony - stopping.  Art?


What a lovely sunny day it's been! Thanks to First Bus for my walk into Royton today.
I may froth about this later.

     These people are going to suffer, and I mean SUFFER, when I take over the world.  "The Hell Of Boiling Oil" from 'Big Trouble' sounds peculiarly appropriate.

Prospects:  Cloudy
I see that the default description of the blog on Facebook mentions 'Astronomy', which we've not featured for a while, so here's a photo of the Magellanic Clouds.  Art?
Image result for magellanic clouds
The Large and the Small
     This might look like an accident with spilled milk, except that it's a photo of the two small, irregular galaxies that orbit our own galaxy.  The Okie city of New York takes up residence in one of them at the end of "Earthman, Come Home", which is an excuse to add in a picture of same -
Image result for james blish cities in flight


And we're done for tonight (with only five exclamation marks)


*  Like an alter-ego, except you shell out more for it.
**  Get it?  Upstairs?  On a double-de - O you do.
** I may be exaggerating a little here, yet please note no exclamation marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment