Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 August 2016

Clash Of The Titans

This may Be Over-selling It Somewhat
I think it's still considerably pithier than "Dispute of the Incipient Megalomaniacs", which would also take up most of the room on the film poster.
     I can see that puzzled glint in your eye.  Don't worry, it will all become clear and, if not, I hope you enjoyed the ride.
     My reference is to lunchtime yesterday, where I was cajoling a curmudgeonly and cantankerous Tom, purely out of the goodness of my heart, as the lad was unwell and your humble scribe was trying to divert him with insouciant banter (which is the best kind).
     "Have you thought about what you'd do if you were World Dictator?" I prompted.
     Just to get the conversation rolling, I pointed out that when - not if - I got to be World Dictator, Banana Toffee Popcorn would make a triumphant return.
Image result for toffee popcorn
Joy in a bag
     This provoked trouble in the ranks, as Tom loudly and proudly declared that he would ban all popcorn.  It transpires that he hates all popcorn, considering it to be a detestable way to ingest sweet things, and if you want toffee -
     I know, I know - what madness is this!  I may have to demote Tom from his interim position as Murderous Music Minister, because I can't have my dignity and pomp threatened by a man who cannot appreciate one of nature's basic foods.
Image result for toffee popcorn
This, however, is practically a war-crime

Verbosity, Thy Name Is Conrad
I've checked this out and, bar where I've deliberately avoided writing because of bleed-through from the ink, my current notebook is now full.  Back in the day when the blog was young, a typical set of notes would consist of four words written on a notebook the size of two postage stamps end to end.
     Now, for better or worse, I write out pages of notes before typing them up, all of which means I've filled my notebook in a month.
Wild scrivel in it's natural state

All The Pens, All The Time
Conrad, as we know, is not especially acquisitive or materialistic, apart from two things:  books and pens.  You've had endless examples of what books he's bought, with rather less emphasis on pens.
     Well, on a whim last night, and to prove to Twitter that I exist beyond braying about BOOJUM! I collected together most of my pens and took a picture.  Art?
ALL THE PENS ALL THE TIME
     There are 56 of the rascals here (not pictured are my fountain pens), except one is a pencil and I'll let you go potty trying to spot it.
     You have seen the evidence, gentle reader - do I have a problem?

Sheer Bloody HORROR! - And The National Trust
This, folks, is what is meant by "bathos", which word encapsulates that phrase "From the sublime to the ridiculous".
     You can stop edging toward the exit, I'm not carrying anything sharp and I shall explain a little more.  Conrad checks out "Anything Horror" regularly, as he knows one of the reviewers there.  Art? Link.

http://anythinghorror.com/

     Don't say I didn't warn you, as this is a site about horror films, and you can expect to see a fair bit of people's magic go-juice being liberally liberated from their veins.  For example- 
Easter Bunny Massacre poster
The rabbit strikes back
     Raised on a diet of gore and gin, Conrad doesn't scare easily, but this addition to an e-mail notification gave me pause:

     You can't get more twee and English than the National Trust, unless you sat around a table drinking tea and eating muffins after joining it.  Somehow it kind of - clashes, is the word, I suppose.  BLOOD!  CARNAGE!  SEVERED LIMBS! " - and a cup of loose-leaf Darjeeling, please."

More Sinister Forward Planning
O yes indeed.  You are surely familiar with Conrad's delight in all things that go BANG, and the bigger the BANG the happier he is.  Say hello to a German man-portable anti-tank rocket launcher:
Image result for armbrust rocket launcher
 - but say it quietly and respectfully
     Manufactured by the arms company Armbrust.
     Sensible folk that you are, I bet you can tell where this is going ...

Right, a slightly shorter post tonight as I'm going to try and bake a cake tonight, AND watch the first summer episode of "The Great British Bake Off".  Toodle pip!


No comments:

Post a Comment