Search This Blog

Thursday 23 October 2014

Hong Kong -

Garden!  No Politics Or Current Affairs Here
At first I wasn't sure whether to put this under the Intro* or "Hit With The Coincidence Hammer - Again".  I shall probably desist from trying another teasing "Hong Kong -" Intro, as there is a danger of taking the pitcher to the well too often.  Conrad does not want to alienate his fanatically loyal audience**, after all.
     "Hong Kong Garden" is a track by Siouxsie and the Banshees, from their debut single in 1978.  For the younger in the audience, a "single" was a vinyl disk that played at 45 revolutions per minute, hence their alternative description as "A 45".  It is now recognised as a classic, although the cynical Conrad wonders whether the guitarist who created the music happened to come across a particularly Oriental-sounding riff and Souxsie made the lyrics up afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG6bbnIwX6U
     And, helpful as ever, there's a link to Youtube.
     "Ah," I hear you say.  "Where's the coeval concurrence?***"
     The coincidence happened in the Co-Op.  There I was, queuing up for my groceries, when my eye fell upon "Mojo", a music magazine^.  Who was on the cover?
     No!  Not Lord Lucan.  Souxsie Sue;
Siouxsie.  Never pictured without a ton of toot.
     "Ah!", I hear you say (my hearing being especially acute today), "Where's the proof?"
     Allow me:
Ignore the chocolate

    There you are, Conrad validated.
    Yes, the chocolate.  Wonder Wifey claims it upset her stomach, so it was forcefully thrust into Conrad's sweaty mitts.  This is a not unusual occurrence at the Mansion - WW loudly declares that food product X, Y or Z is vile, and it is given to Conrad to dispose of.

"The Proof Of The Pudding -"
 - "Is in the eating.  So goes the phrase.
     How terribly discriminatory!  The pudding?  Pudding!  What about Pasta?  Or Potatoes?  Or Peas? Or Pamplemousse^^? Or Profiteroles - although I suppose they are a kind of pudding and are hence already included in the generic pudding clause, and you can make pease pudding out of peas, so perhaps I've undercut myself here.  You can't have "The proof of the parsnip " either, as parsnips are reserved for being buttered except not by fine words, and you can't have Pineapple, either as Conrad hates and detests the fruit beyond all human reason - when I am World Dictator the pineapple is going out the window, let me tell you.
     There.  Today's Rant and Tant.
Rum Baba.  A pudding that is proof.  80% proof!


An Insectary
No!  Nothing to do with the meeting of converging lines in geometry!  
     Allow Conrad:
BOOJUM! - creating a buzz
     I recalled this term from one of Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther novels, and - given pondering time on the bus - decided to look it up.
     A cage for insects, apparently.  

That Coincidence Hammer Again
I took a call from an employee of my Mighty Yet Still Coyly Anonymous Organisation, about not getting a letter.  I was able to fend it off to Jen - thank you Jen! - and then went to make a cup of tea, which brought me past Sarah, one of the higher and mightier office managers, who - Hay Pesto! - was explaining about exactly the same problem experienced by my caller.
     Twice in one day.  I wonder.  Phil?  Any advice?
"You're experiencing a crisis in causality, Conrad.
That, or your trolley has come off it's rails."
"Ouija"
Apparently this is a film, being released later this month:
What a coincidence, a horror film coming out at Halloween
     Conrad not interested and not going to see it.  I'd be bored^^^.

A Book For The Ages
This little tome got rediscovered during a search for something else entirely:
My touchstone for life's philosophy
     Please note that these are the original drawings by E. H. Shephard, rather than the Disney versions (hack! spit!).  Let us see if Eeyore can expound on the balance of trade deficit:  "Avoid unexpected guests "dropping by" by placing your doorknocker just out of reach."
     Thank you, Eeyore.  If only the Chancellor had taken your advice! 

"Bittersweet Symphony"
By the Verve, from their "Urban Hymns" album and an international hit for them.
     Unfortunately.
     "Surely you jest?" I hear you saying, and also "Eh, that Conrad, good job the Mansion's defences keep him in," and I'll get round to the latter group in a little while. 
     Yes, unfortunately because two of the Rolling Stone's ex-managers noticed how much money the song was making and sued, and won, and got all the royalties, and changed the writing credits, and allowed it to be played on an advert.
     But do you know, it really is a most excellent song.  Conrad supposes that those wicked people who illegally download songs from the internet would in this case be able to claim the moral heights, as the managers in question, in the words of the immortal~ E. E. "Doc" Smith would be able to "put on a tall silk hat and still be able to walk under a snake."
Nothing to do with the Verve or Bittersweet Symphony, but rarely do you get to post a picture of sci-fi jodhpurs
Gong
I can't escape, you'll have seen the entry in my Notebook Of Death~~.
Gong are a band, formed IIRC by Daevid Allen back in the late Sixties.  He had been the guitarist with Soft Machine, who toured the Continent.  When they came back to the UK, Mr Allen, an Australian national, couldn't.  HM Customs and Excise, as I think they were back then, decided that the Antipodean~~~was too fond of herbal cigarettes and wouldn't let him back onto this hallowed turf.
     So, just to spite them, he formed Gong.  Who were potty but entertaining - the Flaming Lips of their day - and I mention this because Sophie told me they are playing at The Academy.
Close enough

* For such have I dubbed this first bit of BOOJUM!
** If he has one ...
*** For today you are being prolix and pretentious, not Conrad.
^ I feel the need to explain this, lest you think "Mojo" is about the Powerpuff Girls.
^^ Okay, Conrad has reverted to type and is being pretentious.  French for grapefruit.
^^^ Sorry!
~ Not literally, you doofus!  Do keep up!
~~ So much more awesome than my "Notebook from Premier Foods"
~~~ Which means "against the feet".

No comments:

Post a Comment