Search This Blog

Saturday 14 April 2018

Oooh Arrrr!

No!  I Am Not Talking Like A Pirate -
I suppose I'd better begin by immediately making an aside.
     The fond imagining that pirates all speak or spoke with a West Country accent comes from the performance of one Robert Newton in "Treasure Island".  Art?*
Image result for robert newton treasure island
Long John Silver
     This must count as one of the most influential film roles evah, because it created that trope of pirates always going "Oooh Arrrr!" simply because Robert Newton chose to portray his character as being from Bristol.
     Anyway, what I wanted to talk about is the letter "R", which is pronounced "Arrrr" if you will forgive me a little poetic licence.** Letter nineteen of the alphabet, which you can roll for comic or dramatic effect.
     "Yes, but what has any of this to do with things exploding?" I hear you ask.  Well, nothing.  For once.  However, it does inform this Intro, because I want to tell you about a town in Turkey called "Bodrum".  Art?
Image result for bodrum
The harbour and castle
     I have travelled there several times, and although Turkey is generally hot, Bodrum is especially hot, as it sits in a natural bowl that prevents any breeze from inland ever reaching it.  Art?
Image result for bodrum map
A.k.a. Halicarnassus
     As noted above, it has a Crusader castle from the 12th Century, which is worth a visit if you happen to be in the environs.  Plus, it is nice and cool in the shady interiors.
     Back to "R" and a subject close to my fusion-powered pumping unit (or "heart", if you will) - tea.  Art?
Image result for bodum tea pot
The drink that cheers not inebriates
     This, ladies and gentlemen, is a teapot - I hope you recognised one of the elements upon which polite civilisation depends - manufactured by Bodum.  Hence, a Bodum teapot.  I have one of the above models, although it only holds a pint and is thus relegated to a supporting function.  I really need to get one of the two-and-a-quarter pint capacity ones,*** because then you can see how brewed your tea is.  Plus the perforated infuser keeps the pot from filling with millions of tea leaves.
     So, there you have it, the difference an "R" makes and how Robert Newton conquered the world.
     Now to get the motley really, really drunk and send it on a rollercoater ride at Alton Towers!

More Of Tea
Part of Conrad's morning routine has him plotting bloody revenge on First Bus walking past those purveyors of coffee in the Dark Tower's lower dungeon (or the Arndale Centre in Manchester if we're being formal), Starbucks.  When I worked a late shift I used to get in well early in order to imbibe a sterling double espresso, do the crossword and make notes.
     However.  Of late I have noticed a rather worrying sign.  Art?
Poorly framed, but you get the picture
      Literally, a worrying sign.  What is this "Tea Latte" of which they speak?  Either some hideous chemical concoction made of tea-flavoured coffee - frankly, the mind boggles - or a disgusting version of a cuppa, drowned with sugar and fluffed up with froth like a poodle in a mug.
     NO!  Take it very far away very quickly!

Just To Keep You Informed
My old laptop has pretty much given up the ghost, if you can say that of a machine.  The Delete key doesn't work, the "L" and "O" keys don't work and it no longer plays DVDs, plus the drive won't open if the release button is pressed.
     Which has nothing to do with what follows.  I - just like to keep you informed.
     Anyway, I am rewatching a film from the Second Unpleasantness called "The Fighting Seabees", starring John Wayne and Susan Hayward.  Art?
Image result for actress tarantula
No, Art, no!  Not Mara Corday!
     Sorry about that, his pash for MArrr!a has been kept in check by frequent Taser instruction classes.  Let us try again, Art, and it would never work with you and Mara - she prefers humans.
Image result for the fighting seabeesImage result for the fighting seabees
My restrained DVD cover  The - er - less restrained wartime poster version.

     I first saw this on BBC 1 about forty years ago, except I missed the beginning.  So, when I came across the DVD of course I bought it.  Completist nerd and anorak combned in one large package, that's me.
     Anyway, even for a wartime propaganda tub-thumper it is staggeringly racist, with some extremely dodgy morals besides, and so far some very dangerous stunts indeed.  Because it seems likely to be a film that has legs in terms of BOOJUM! input, I think you Arrrr! going to hear a lot more about this film in the near future.
Image result for evil dead
"Lucky you!" confirmed Ash.


*  Oooh Art!
**  You better had, it's my blog.
***  None of that metric nonsense here.

No comments:

Post a Comment