Search This Blog

Monday 22 January 2018

The Who

As You May Be Aware -
Not even Conrad is entirely sure about how his mind works.  It does*, which is enough for him.  And this brings us to Courtney B. Vance and the title of today's scrivel.
     "Who?" I mused to myself in the splendid isolation of my Sekrit Layr.  "Whom is that black actor with the distinctive speaking voice, who was an hydrophone technician in "The Hunt For Red October", and an army medic in "Hamburger Hill", and a Chief of Police in "The Shield"?
     Quite why I was pondering this is anyone's guess.  Art?
Image result for courtney vance red october
What the well-dressed sub hunter is wearing this year
     He has an hilarious scene in "Hamburger Hill" where he instructs raw recruits on the Army-approved way to brush one's teeth.  Check it out.
     "Where is this going, o aged scribe?" I hear you - Hey, enough of the "Old"!
     Okay, the chap's name is Courtney B. Vance, and according to IMDB <tugs forelock respectfully towards the font of all knowledge> he was a Police Chief in "The Closer", so my memory is off.**  Art?
Image result for courtney vance the closer
Courtney and the closer
     I can see your puzzled frowns from here.  Okay, so now we have "The Who", at which point the Coincidence Hydra rears it's ugly head and fastens it's gnashers in my rear, for Lo!  What do we see in the inside of today's 'Empire' film magazine?  Art?
Extra-large so you can witness the TERRIFYING COINCIDENCE!
(First column, third from botom)
     Yet again, I do wish the Universe would send me the message it is so obviously sending via Facebook, as it would simplify matters.
     What's that?  You thought this was going to be an article about some dodgy rock band nobody's ever heard of?  No, you're thinking of The High Numbers.
     Time to put the motley into an enclosure with Clarissa The Cannibal Combat Chicken and laugh at the results!***

More Of Film
Oh dearie me.  Conrad is on leave this week, and has discovered that we have a Netflix subscription.  Wonder Wifey will be off visiting our friend in Milton Keynes for three days, so there is a lot of scope for binge-watching shizzle.
     Thus we move, with the inevitability of a glacier, to watching "The Foreigner".  Conrad saw the trailer for this last year, which had an intriguing premise.  Art?
Image result for foreigner band
No  Art, you witless wart -
     It features Jackie Chan in what is, apparently, a rare dramatic role for him.  I wouldn't know, this is the first JC film I've seen.  He plays a sixty-year old with a very dark past, who sets out to get revenge on the people who murdered his daughter.  Art?
Image result for jackie chan the foreigner
Caution!  Not a comedy
     Even Wonder Wifey was reasonably impressed, and she's seen loads of his comedic roles.

Meanwhile, In Far-Off Andreivia ...
Conrad will hopefully be playing the part of Brigadier Wooster, OC of "Woosterforce", one of at least four armies present in the Black Sea territory of the Tsarist empire, set in 1918.  I have made a note of various place-names that Richard has dreamed up for the country, and hope to have a British army marching song done before too long.  I already have a few lines, if you'd like to hear them - o you would?  How kind!  <ahem>

"We're the boys of Woosterforce, come to be your saviour.
We're the boys with noisy toys, here in exotic Andreivia.
Here with our friends Mister Stokes, and Mister Lewis, too -
If you don't scarper sharpish, Fritz, they'll make dogfood out of you!"

     That's all at the moment, and I notice (with some cautious apprehension) that there is a town called 'Kucuk' which will rhyme well with "Luck".
Image result for stokes gunImage result for lewis gun
               Mister Stokes                               Mister Lewis
     Well of course it does!  What did you think it was going to rhyme with?  We are, after all, emphatically SFW.

I'm Sorry, Do I Know You?
Conrad, as you should surely know, loves him some comic books, and also the Beeb's premier dramamentary 'Doctor Who', and thus also Doctor Who comic books.
     So, last night I sat down and prepared to read several in order, beginning with this one.  Art?
Image result for doctor who panini graphic novels

     The thing is, I didn't remember reading any of it before.  Usually something clicks within the old grey cells, but not this time.  Nary a glimmer of recollection.  So, either my memory is getting worse,** or I put this away once purchased, without reading it.** Whichever, I enjoyed reading it and the Dave Gibbons artwork.
Image result for blitzed brain cells
BRAINNNNNS!
Yes, I have one.
     I think this is where we came in -

*  Usually.
**  As if this is news.  See * above.
***  Don't worry, we put a muzzle on her.  Didn't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment