Search This Blog

Monday 21 October 2013

Out of the way!

Not that "Out of the way", this "Out of the way"
     In the sense of not getting underfoot.  The kitchen, normally Conrad's fiefdom, is now being used by other folk, so here I am out of the way in the Upstairs Lair.  Once the messenger-mice come back with news that the villains have left the piece, I shall return.
     Then, too, I am not in my usual workplace this week.  In fact I have effectively been paid to sit and do logic puzzles and read books, so I'm glad my work colleagues cannot see me, or they'd be jealous.  Today I managed five logic puzzles on the trot, and got them all right - so perhaps I am entitled to shout "Out of the way!  Logical dodgical!"
This came up when I Googled "Logic".  Puzzling.

Ack Phooey*!  My cup of tea is nearly empty!  I shall have to venture into the kitchen whilst those fiends are disporting there.  Hang on a mo -

- I shall have to execute the messenger-mice, they've let me down - that kitchen was empty.

Technical Issues
     Those of you not interested in wargaming design can skip this bit as it isn't easy to make such a subject either i) sexy or ii) amusing. 
     Although if Conrad was asked what one of his hobbies was and mumbled the reply "It'shexandcounterwargaming" a few eyebrows would rise! (say it aloud)
     There.  Sex, humour and wargaming in one sentence <snaps fingers boastfully, suffers painful joint twist, whimpers pitifully>
     Ah yes.  Being a creature of habit, Conrad has printed his rules out and gone over them to make notations in longhand. I finally realised that having only a single Machine Gun unit/counter per division wasn't realistic or workable in game terms.  I did have a fudge in the rules that allowed this unit to be split up between different regiments or brigades, but having more units removes this awkwardness.  So, British divisions now have 4 MG units, German divisions now have 3.  And yes this is a balance because at this date (mid-to late 1917) British divisions have a nominal strength of 12,000 men versus the German nominal total of 9,000.
  I have also <Mr Hand intervenes to point out that abstract wittering does not make for an interesting blog>
This man is a typical wargamer.  Really.  Yes, really**!

Dom Joly - Who Knew!
     Whilst lounging around today, doing my reading (I've just finished "Afgantsy") I had my back to the lounge's VCR and television.  What caught my ear?  "Novocaine for the Soul", the first Eels song I ever heard.  This was followed up by Grandaddy and a couple of other songs I liked.  Then came an instrumental, opening with treated electric piano - I like it, I don't recognise it - I'm going to be shuttling between Wiki and Grooveshark tonight until I find out what it was.
     Oh, and Dom? - good taste in music.

So - Tanks?
     Following on from our music theme ...
Doesn't really need a caption!
* I nicked this from a "Peanuts" comic book back in 1972
**  No, not really

Right!  Off to chase those messenger-mice with the cheese chainsaw!







    

No comments:

Post a Comment