Search This Blog

Monday 7 October 2013

I Frolic in Logic

Yes indeed
     As you are painfully aware, Conrad got hold of a Logic Puzzle book a short while ago.  His aged brain proved - proved not bad at solving them, actually.  You, dear reader, are no more surprised at this than Conrad himself.  An illustration may help -

Note notebook at left with corrections for veracity
 This type is easy - relatively so, anyway.

The triple-highlighter mark of SUCCESS!
This type is a lot harder - as you can see the permutations are substantially increased.  One tick or cross in the wrong square means you'll end up completely wrong at the end.  After ninety minutes you want to have it correct!  And no, Conrad does not cheat by looking at the answers, for that way lies only madness.

Bakery Cakery
     Actually a bit of fakery - this cake is a Vegetable Cake, more a kind of crustless quiche.  I made it to use up some of our excess potatoes.  No!  I hate throwing food out.  It riled me that I needed to bin a bit of ham block this morning, but it did have a splendid harvest of moulds growing on it.  Then I whizzed up some coleslaw at the request of Wifey, and made a batch of "Sloppy Joes", which is a kind of low-sauce mince stew eaten in a roll or sandwich - American , don't you know.  I also got in some chorizo for Spanish potatoes tomorrow.
Presto, Vegetable Cake
Gutta Percha
     Today's language lesson concerns "Gutta percha", which I have read about in various Victorian-era novels and stories.  I never understood exactly what it was until thirty seconds ago, when the mighty internet informed me that it's a form of latex derived from the sap of the Malayan percha tree. Widely used until synthetic plastics displaced it, and apparently golf balls with a gutta-percha core were the bee's knees, elbows, wrists and other joints.
Golf ball - or Fylingdales Moor Ballistic Missile Early Warning System?  Only you can decide!
That hammer is still on the table - I wonder if BOOJUM!'s bespoke carpenter, the hard hog, left it there?

Time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment