Search This Blog

Thursday 24 April 2014

Make Gravity Impervious To Time

That Sounds Impressive -
 - perhaps it should have an exclamation mark after it.
     Oh go on then:

MAKE GRAVITY IMPERVIOUS TO TIME!!!

     Another random selection from Thos. Pynchon, this time from "Against The Day".  From way past where I'm up to as well, so I can't explain what it means.  I'll be reading this one for some time, am only up to Page 105 out of 1028.  I'm also expecting a two-volume set of "The History of the Guards Division in the Great War", also a bit long.  The last time I read Pynchon and a divisional history some strange coincidences came to light.  We'll see what comes of this particular combination!
The reclusive author Thomas Pynchon.  In disguise, obviously - obviously!

Car CDs
     You at the back!  What, in the context of BOOJUM!, is a "car CD"?
     Wrong!  Go sit in that bath full of eels.  Mind out, some are electric.
     A Car CD, gentle reader, is one that Conrad deems to have been given insufficient attention in the past, so he treats himself as a captive audience and play play plays those CDs.  That way he gets an informed opinion.
     So then.  This week we've had "Tommy" by The Who, "In the land of grey and pink" by Caravan, and "We are all of us in the gutter" by They Came From The Stars I Saw Them.
     "Tommy"

     I'd played this once upon buying it ages ago, so this was almost the same as hearing it first time round.  Overall opinion - favourable.  Some of the brass and keyboard runs are rather startling, if you're used to thinking of The Who as a four-piece drums-bass-guitar-vocals band - which might have been Mr Townsend's intention.  A few of the tracks outstay their welcome, balanced by a few extremely short ones.
     "In the land of grey and pink"

     I don't think I'd played this all the way through, so again novel experience.  Whimsical, quite reminiscent of Soft Machine, accomplished musically, and with a sense of humour.  One track goes on for over 20 minutes, and - back in the day when an LP had two sides - it took up a whole side.  Part of what was termed "the Canterbury scene", just FYI.
     "We are all of us in the gutter"

     Rather a curate's egg, this one.  Whimsical, if not outright daft, with songs that vary wildly from one style to another.  Some I like - the last track, "Rabbit Seal Monkey" is great - but some are merely noise for the sake of noise.  I shall Grooveshark their CD's before buying any more.  You cannot say, however, that TCFTSIST are ever dull.

Verisimilitude
     Once more BOOJUM! attempts to bring you, the non-paying audience, an easy tutorial in the way of the world and to educate you.
     This word refers, obviously - obviously! - to a type of Italian soup-stew, made in the North by factory workers in the industrial zones, using cheap, tough cuts of meat that require stewing on a low heat overnight, eaten on a platter made out of coarse bread or polenta.
     What's that?
     It's not?  It merely means "truthful"?
     Damn you, reality!  Those factory workers are going hungry because of you!
This IS Verisimilitude, because it's my blog and I say so.
That's Quite Enough Of That!
     The "that" in question being an advert For Strongbow Citrus Edge, featuring the bold assertion "Earn it", and the following picture:
"Earn it"?  If I wanted your citrus swill, sir, I would go into a shop and BUY IT!
     Excuse me?  To drink your wretched latest-in-a-long-line-of-fruit-tainted-ciders I have to brave being bitten and killed by a poisonous snake?  What if I - horrors! - wanted two bottles?  I'd probably be asked to drive a blazing car into the lion zone at Longleat skydive off the Burj Khalifa canvass outside Old Trafford for a David Moyes memorial*.

That's Quite Enough Of That! - Part 2**
     The "that" in question being an entity in Bury known as "The Rock".  Basically a collection of shops. Conrad spotted a bus poster promoting it.
     Unusually, Conrad knows whereof he speaks in this case.  I remember traipsing around the centre of Bury when I went to see the Fusilier's Museum - far better value than The Rock.  Herewith a poster:
How to make "fun" seem sinister
     "Round the clock", eh?  Hands up who can't face it***!

Finally
 - once again we try to, er, "big up" the Whippoorwill.
"Dude!  In my own head, I'm a PEACOCK!"
*  Sorry, I know, topical and current affairs, beyond the pale.  Won't happen again.
**  Yes, Conrad is a grumpy old man.  Well, "grumpy old alien spy", actually
***  <wince> yes bad puns, couldn't resist.

No comments:

Post a Comment