Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Coincidence Strikes Again

Knot Half!*
     My regular reader(s) will recollect that I was harping on about Harold MacMillan and knots a few days ago.
     Last night I happened to think:"What's the only track by The Scorpions that I like?"
     "Wind Of Change"
     So off I went to Grooveshark and enjoyed a Ninties moment with the German big-hair metal merchants.
     Today, looking for a suitable blog title, I opened up the Dictionary of Phrase and Fable and there was old Supermac's 1960 quote to the South African parliament - about "The wind of change is blowing through this continent"
Wind is boring.  Here's a photo of that comic genius Buster Keaton instead
The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes
     No!  The book, not the television series.  Any TV series.
This is a book.  The book, in fact.

     I haven't read these stories in decades, yet I do remember the plot for several of them - "The Man With The Twisted Lip" and "The Red-Headed League", for example.  A few I don't recall at all, but I did figure out the solution to "A Case Of Identity" before finishing it.  Must have been all those logic puzzles I was doing last year.
     Er - that's it.

Dreams
     Dear me how incredibly dull one of my dreams last night was - about a person existing twice on our database at work.
Audience reaction
     The second one was better - about a submarine cruising down a hostile river and encountering Free French tank crews who'd converted to infantry to better get involved in the action -
Couldn't find a photo with a submarine and Free French soldiers.  Will this do instead?
     Okay, dreams - be more entertaining!  No drivel about work, thanks.

Ah!  Hang On - More Of Sherlock
     Mention is made in one story of a "gasogene", which Conrad (thorough and deliberate, not painfully anally retentive, thank you) made a note of, not having come across the word before.
A gasogene
1950's rocket-ship.  Hang on, no -
     The gasogene produced carbonated water, for diluting spirit drinks, or if you simply preferred fizzy water to still.  And it inspired NASA in the Fifties, too.

"Incunabula"
     Once again BOOJUM! and Conrad attempt to educate you, the fervid masses** by examining this word.  Obviously - obviously! - it is the nomination of some species of vampire, doubtless from some 1930's pot-boiler written to cash in on the success of the Film "Dracula", and not able to use that name***, instead comes up with this one.
     What's that?
     It's not?
     It's medieval paper?
     Bah!  My idea is far better!  <snaps fingers at reality>
Vampire t11 wz507 g-vtii cotswoldairshow 2010 arp.jpg
A Vampire.  Yes, really.
And Finally
     I really didn't think anything would come up when I Googled for "Sexy Walrus" but the world is a big place and there's some peculiar people out there, so here it is:
Words fail me
     Are we beginning to see the unloved creature in a new light?  Someone else certainly has ...

* Ouch!
** "Fervid Few" just doesn't have the same ring to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment