Search This Blog

Sunday 19 July 2020

Okay, Bruce, You Are Forgiven

Bruce Springsteen, Before You Ask
Bruce Campbell is automatically forgiven anything before he even  needs to ask, because his chin can kill, you know.  And also "The Evil Dead", and Bruce Willis would just narrow his eyes in order to strike unreasoning fear into you -
Bruce Campbell passes the chainsaw to future Evil Dead actors
"Goovry*"
     No, I refer to Bruce Springsteen because I am trying a little something - typing this blog up in the back yard whilst sitting out in the sunshine.
     It is not going swimmingly.  The incredible radiant brightness of the solar radiation (I feel I have to make much of it lest it be frightened away) is making it extremely hard to make out what I'm typing on the screen.  "Blinded By The Light" came to mind.  Art?
Blinded by the Light – Manfred Mann's Earth Band – 1976 ...
Thus
     I am now back indoors, as the sun has also gone in, and I apologise for scaring it away.  Yes, here in the UK the Springsteen version of the above is little-known, as it was Manfred Mann who had a whacking big hit with it here. 
     Shall I?
     It feels a little too easy but what the hack, let's go for -

A Little Musical Critique
You ought to know how these go; Conrad parses and analyses song lyrics, and do you know, a lot of them turn out to be complete nonsense!  Who would have guessed, hmmm?


Sunglasses are your friend
I am guessing here that the "Deuce" is the iconic military truck?
Blinded by the light
Yes yes yes
Blinded by the light
Get on with it!
Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night
STOP REPEATING YOURSELF!

Top reasons to own an M35 Deuce and a Half - YouTube
Oh, it's actually a Deuce and a Half
     I'm too angry to continue this for today.  Maybe later.

Trewinnick
By all that's slick.  
     Conrad is unaware why this name popped into my head -
     - will you look at that, the sun's come out again yet I bet if I go out into the back yard it will steal away once more Dog Buns British weather!
     <ahem> yes, Trewinnick.  It's a location in Cornwall; I was going to put "town" but it's not even a village, though there is a farm there.  Art?
First ever chance to buy 221 acre farm near Padstow | South West ...
The chocolate-box beauty of Cornwall
     Once again, Your Humble Scribe is rather baffled by his own thought processes.  Why should I recall such a place?
     "Perhaps your extensive readings about the English Civil Unpleasantness have incurred a mention of it?" I hear you suggest.
     I don't think so.  "Battle of Trewinnick" doesn't ring any bells or feature in any indexes.
     Anyway, now that we're here, Conrad merely wishes to recount that during the very same English Civil Unpleasantness, the Royalist regiments from Cornwall were very tough chaps indeed.  They didn't like marching far from home (true of a lot of county-raised  regiments), though they were hot stuff in action.  Art!
Cornwall in the English Civil War - Wikipedia
Cornwall - staunchly Royalist
     During the First and  Second Unpleasantnesses, the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry were pretty spiffy, too.  They may have an ooo-arrr accent, just don't get them cross whilst they're holding big sharp pointy objects.
     Still - why Trewinnick?

Conrad Is ANGRY!**
O so angry!  I know this is pretty much my default state, however, bear with me.  
     Okay, as you should know by now, Your Modest Artisan is addicted to solving Codewords, which he finds helps to keep him mentally supple.  The principle of a Codeword is that there are no clues, just that every letter of the alphabet is given a number from 1 to 26, and you are given two letters to start you off.  Art?
Codewords - Click through to Daily Codeword Puzzle | Crossword ...
An example: here you've been given "C" and "R"
     In the Codeword puzzle book that Conrad bought last year, there are some where you only get one letter, and they are a challenge.
     HOWEVER!!
     The unwritten rule is that the words can't be too obscure or complex, which doesn't stop the compilers from including those, or foreign words on occasion.  Yesterday they gave "C" and "L", making "C_CC_ _"
     "COCCYX"?  I guessed.  That meant 14 = "O" and there was a double 14 which tended to prove it, but come on!  COCCYX?  Really?
     I was, of course, correct, because I am awesome at Codewords, yet this is bordering on cheating by the compilers.
     The red mist has cleared a bit, just stay away from me for an hour or so.

More Czech
Note how I don't stoop to cheap punnery.  It seems that if I include anything Polish or Czech in BOOJUM! then my number of visitors goes up, so we are returning to an item that young Marketa put up on the CitySpy website.  No, no, don't worry, she's not angry any more - I hope.  O Marketa?  What do you have for us today in your beautiful yet complicated language?
     "Otuzilec"
     This, apparently, is a person who does not feel the cold.  Pretty much like Conrad, who would have the whole office at 120 or less if permitted.
Swimwear-clad skiers defy the cold in Siberia to mark end of ...
And these brave folks
     So now you have another tool in your methodology to blend in when in Bohemia.

Finally -
There will be shepherd's pie tonight and you know me so well already, all interests lead to my stomach.  So, as the others are off hunting the wild curtain, I am going to do a good turn and skin & chop the carrots.  Not remotely altruistic, really, as it will guarantee me a big slice of pie.
Easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com
Add caption
     No, that's not thunder, just my stomach rumbling.

     And with  that we are done!


*  Yes I deliberately mis-spelled it.  Nice to know you're paying attention
**  Yes again

No comments:

Post a Comment