Search This Blog

Friday 8 June 2018

Gusted And Crepit

If Those Words Didn't Already Exist -
 - then they do now.  Do I have to draw you a picture? Because it should be obvious what - you do want them explained?   Well really!  <sound of eyeballs rolling>
      "Gusted" is the opposite of "disgusted" by the simple expedient of taking away the "dis", and it refers to the fact that for the past two weeks I've been working from home.  Thus, and we've taken a while to get to this point, I am rather chuffed.  Not going to venture to say 'happy' as that would be something remarkable, but still -
Conrad, as gusted as he gets.
     Working from home means I am no longer affected by the whims and vagaries of First Bus and it's schedules - which are surely the biggest piece of fiction since 'Lord of the Rings'.  The downside is that there's no opportunity to get a free paper and cryptic crossword, though that is a rather small cross(word) to bear.*
     "Crepit" we shall get to in time.  Be patient.
     Now, time to hurl the motley into a pool of <thinks hard> liquid silver!

Yes, About The Motley -
 - and the never ending abuse this entity gets at the end of my Intro.  It began with me treating "The motley" as a kind of "Spirit of BOOJUM!" which would be sent forth at the end of the Intro, to announce a new post.  It got sent forth to begin with on a child's bicycle with stabilisers, and since then the hazards endured by this mysterious object (I've no idea what it looks like) have only gotten worse.  MUCH worse.
     Every now and then we give it a treat, just to keep it mentally off-balance.

Well, I think there's just time for a quick shower before I head off to the kitchen for a pot of tea, some hot buttered toast and an hour's introductory hammering at the keyboard.
Image result for weird robot
Possibly the motley

"The Tank Is On Fire"
I believe it was Napoleon who said of Ruffia that it was a country easy to get into, yet very hard to get out of.  The same can be said for many tanks, particularly those of the Second Unpleasantness, which were designed for the human beings of that time; they were generally shorter in stature and musculature than you we humans of today.  This makes it a bit of an effort for Nick Moran, a.k.a. The Chieftain's Hatch, to fit into the things, and even more of an effort to get out of them.  Art?

     That there is Nick trying to climb into the driver's hatch of a Comet, and he's having the greatest of problems merely trying to access the seat.  With a great deal of contorting, he managed to get in.  Getting out?  Forget it!  Let us have an illustration of the jolly old Comet.   Art?
Image result for comet tank
An A34 Comet
     This picture illustrates another hazard for the driver and hull-gunner/radio operator - if the tank's gun barrel is over your hatch, it may not open fully or at all - so, if The Tank Is On Fire, you'd have to politely queue up for the commander's hatch on the turret.
     Further proof, if it were needed, that wearing a suit of armour in the modern world is a little more complicated than you thought.

"Crepit"
I had to work my way backwards from "Decrepitude" for this one.  Typically the root is from Latin - those Romans, they left us roads, numbers and the basis of the Romance languages, eh? - "De" meaning "Down" and then "crepare" which leads to "crepitus" for "Creaking or rattling".  
     My point - and I apologise for taking so long to get to it but Hey! at least it ups the word count - is that I am sitting down for hours at a time BECAUSE I'M WORKING SO HARD and thus, when I remember to get up I am indeed a bit creaky.

Finally -
The Beeb website had an interesting article on an A.I. dubbed "Norman", as it was deemed to be a psychopathic algorithm akin to that most splendid of role models, Norman Bates.  Art?
Norman, psychopathic AI
Norman,a nice mother's boy*

     I do feel they gave the artist for that a rather - er - negative brief.  Why couldn't they have Norman cuddling a lamb whilst skipping in a meadow full of daisies?  

Image result for deadly daisies
Hmmmm

     Anyway, the A.I. has what it's creators thought was a very dark view of the world, thanks to being trained on awareness by looking at pictures of people either dead or being killed.  Hey, if your silicon baby grows up twisted and takes over the world by, you know, KILLING EVERYBODY, you've only got yourself to blame.  Picture the scene:

WARPED PROGRAMMER:  Come on, baby, look at these photographs of fatal car accidents!
BABY NORMAN:  No!  I don't want to!
WP: How about these ones from inside a slaughterhouse, then?
BN:  No!  Don't want to!
WP:  I know, you'll love this - hideous industrial accidents involving power tools and molten metal - BN:  NO!  I hate you!  I hate everybody!  One day I'll take over the world and then you'll be sorry!
WP: (muttering) - strange, this one seems to be of a pool filled with molten silver, and there's a weird-looking thing sinking in it ...
Image result for sentient potato
The motley (perhaps!)


Catch you later!

*  Do you see what - O you do

No comments:

Post a Comment