Search This Blog

Saturday 10 August 2013

BOOJUM! - Big in Denmark!

Statistical Overview: Hej!
     I'm not really well-schooled in the background of how Blogger generates statistical traffic, but I like looking at the map and seeing which country's good taste encompasses my blog.  I see northern Europe is a faint shade of green, amongst which Denmark is a darker shade. 
     O prescient and appreciative Denmark!  Famous for bacon, and beer (and Hans Christian Andersen, a story for another day entirely), oh yes the beer.  Long years ago there existed in Manchester city centre the Danish Food Centre, which had a bar in the basement.  I think.  It's a long time gone, and I'm getting on - sorry, where was I? Oh yes the bar.  You could get Ceres Special on draught there, 9% proof lager, which is probably why I don't remember if the bar was in the basement or not.  Then there is always Carlsberg Special Brew, more rocket-fuel in a can and best drunk chilled.
     Enough of alcohol!  Danish music - Mew, they're pretty ace, and Radio Dept, and Carpark North - can't find any of their CDs at anything less than silly prices, though.  Strangely enough none of these groups are mentioned on the official DENMARK website.
   Tak!

Ice-cream Overload
     Well, not really, since in a week it'll be Cake Day, and I did promise to provide ice-cream.  So, mango ice-cream from last night.  Today I made Kulfi, an Indian milk-based mango ice-cream, and then coconut ice-cream, without mango this time but with a bit of toasted coconut - very nice! and later on today I'll be tackling raspberry and peach, probably with some yoghurt also.

The Walking Dead
     I'm about to start watching the first episode of Season Three; yes, gosh, aren't I behind the times.  I do have a mountain of books to read, however, and this blog to write, and other films to watch, and that zombie novel won't write itself you know ...
     At which point I usually sign out.  Not today.  I've been collecting the Walking Dead trade paperback for a good while now and am thus far ahead of the TV series, which is different enough that I don't know what will happen exactly when watching.

Looking to the past
     Normally you'll see astronomy posts on here, reflections on where human science stands and how it points us towards the future.  This time we have a different direction - the past.  2,000 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23628630

Thank you Aunty Beeb.  This interests me since I worked on the Roman Fort excavation at Castlefield in the mid-80's.  Also kind of ironic - the landscape of 2000 years ago being revealed by the evolved technology of 1903.  In other words, thanks to some Americans we British can now see where the Romans were.

No comments:

Post a Comment