Search This Blog

Saturday 17 August 2013

52 Today!


My Birthday
Yes it has been 52 orbits round the sun since yours truly arrived to grace the planet with my presence.
    Today I have been baking - Norwegian Pear Cake, chocolate brownies, Nieman Marcus cookies, and Chocolate, Marshmallow and Cola muffins.  Whilst waiting for this lot to bake I've been reading "Engines of Creation" on my birthday Nook, as I'd made a note of this particular title in relation to nanotechnology, in my Book Of Things*.

Old Golden Hen
     Not a pet, or even dinner.

Beer.
 
Sister - or brother - to Old Speckled Hen, I only tried this today and I like it!  A nice light beer, especially so cold from the fridge after working over a hot oven all day.

The Rock
   No, not Dwayne Johnson.
Gibraltar, featuring The Rock (the big thing upper left of centre)
     The British and Spanish governments appear to be having a p*****g contest about Gibraltar at the moment, with all the intellectual firepower of a pair of five-year olds in the schoolyard arguing about whose dad is bigger.  Grow up!
     One local in Spain, quizzed by the BBC, quoted "Why the hell are the British in Gibraltar?"
     Well, mate, because we over-ran it in a war over 300 years ago, and have hung on like limpets ever since.  The locals don't want to become part of Spain, either.
     Now, trust me, the Spanish government now and in the future shouldn't ever ever ever actually acquire Gibraltar under any circumstances.  Why not? Because it makes such a wonderful distraction.  Scandal in the Cortes Generales?  Blockade Gibraltar.  Attempted coup?  Froth about Gibraltar and smuggling.  Royal family member caught doing drugs?  Prevent Gibraltar overflights.  Eurozone bail-out funds require austerity measures?  Complain about nuclear submarines visiting Gibraltar.
    And, whatever you do, don't mention Ceuta or Mellila ...

No comments:

Post a Comment