Search This Blog

Saturday 29 June 2013

The Triumph Of Today!

Yes, I'm sorry, more banging-on about ice-cream.  Sadly for You The Audience, the creation of my blog coincides with my purchase of an ice-cream maker.  Yesterday, after it had been gently suggested that I try making a nutty ice-cream, I found a pistachio one by Nigella Lawson that was very easy to make, and which went down very nicely.  Thank you Nigella*!

 * As a gentleman notice I focus entirely on Nigella's culinary achievements.  Thank you.

Raison d'etre
NO!  Not an ice-cream flavour!  It's French.  Go look it up.
     Becca, one of the Bright Young Things I work with, and who incidentally inspired me to start BOOJUM!, asked what my Blog was about.
     "Anything that comes into my head" was my instant response.
     But! Now I begin to worry.  Should my blog have a theme? A thread?  A particular goal or audience or aim?  A target demographic?  Who or what am I writing it for?  Do I expect feedback and comments and input and reciprocation -
     At which point I realise work has invaded the left hemisphere of my brain.  Bugger off, work!
      "Anything that comes into my head" is to be the defining factor.  If you prefer statistically-monitored blogs that interpret visitor metrics and deliver accordingly-crafted posts - this is not the blog you're looking for.

All Is Well with Faber-Castell
     I just dug out an ancient drawing board that's been in the family for at least 25 years.  It has a latitudinal clip for holding paper steady, and a small longitudinal clip for A3 sized sheets, is gridded in 5mm squares, and used  to come with a clip-on cursor that probably disappeared two house moves ago. The top right and bottom left quadrants of the grid are worn away to nothing - this is because I used to perch the board on the handlebars of my exercise bike and use it to move my PC's mouse around; the combination of friction and sweat for 30 minutes eventually swept all the grid lines away.  It has deep cracks across half the underside that were only stopped by a rubber foot, or the whole thing would have fallen apart.
     Why is this significant?  Well I remember using a considerably less-abused board 25 years ago, trying to design a hex-and-counter wargame for the Russo-Japanese War.  Now I'm using it to draw counters for a hex-and-counter wargame for the Passchendaele campaign of World War One.  What goes around comes around, eh?
    
Plus - an eerie coincidence - I Googled to see if Faber-Castell are still in business.  They are.  Not only that, one of their current lines of colour pens is branded "Gelato".  What is the brand name of my ice-cream maker?  Yes.  "Gelato".


 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment