Search This Blog

Sunday 30 June 2013

Long Gone Dated But Still Vindicated

Cider Crumble Cake!
I remember making this years ago, and making a pencil note next to the recipe - "flat and heavy - shouldn't it be self-raising flour?" since the recipe used plain (and pencil notes in the margin are perfectly normal, like talking to yourself).

Well, daughter is not so interested in the dry cider I got her, so I decided - don't bin it, use it in cider crumble cake.  I checked out the recipe in my newer edition of the 1,000 Recipe Cookbook, and hey presto - "self raising flour".

A small thing, but I take credit wherever I can.

Cider Cup
Righto, that's the cake baked.  I've also made "Cider Cup" since it registered as a drink that Churchill shared with the King when he went a-visiting one day - must have read it in his History of the Second World War.  It is currently chilling in the fridge.

I also made Tomato and Basil Risotto, neglecting to pay attention to how many it would feed.  Now I know what I'll be having for lunch until Thursday.

Bitwa Warszawska 1920!
Or - "Battle of Warsaw 1920" for those who don't speak Polish.  Finished watching this last night, with the TV screen having to sit two feet away - the subtitles are tiny.   An interesting film, showing how the Polish army in the immediate aftermath of World War One was composed of those who had served in the German, Austrian and Russian armies.  The hero is a bit underwritten - I liked the Polish Commissar, who was crude, ruthless but also amusing.  Natasza Urbanska is also quite easy on the eyes.  One curious scene comes near the beginning: the interior of Leon Trotsky's train carriage, where everything is in primary colours.  Odd and rather jarring given the realistic cinematography otherwise.
     The CD cover art is an inaccurate mish-mash, though - all the background stuff is from WW2 <goes into military pedant mode and the world switches off>

Well, time to go, that Zombie novel's 177,800 words need a bit of adding-to.

Pip pip!






No comments:

Post a Comment