Search This Blog

Sunday 15 March 2020

If I Were To Say "Big Rig" -

Then You'd Probably Imagine The Wrong Thing
This is because I delight in wordy misdirection like the above, and because I'm a swine.  Okay, your first mistake would probably be in the direction of a South Canadian eighteen-wheeler, which, if Art can put down his plate -
Image result for big rig
This, frankly, is taking the mickey.
     Apparently that's a 24-cylinder Thor24, and it retailed for £8 million, and I bet it's fuel consumption is rubbish.
     So, that's what we're not talking about.  Your next guess would probably be along the lines of those lonely platforms in the middle of the North Sea, which are bravely guarded by the Norwegian Marinenjaegerkommandoen special forces.  Art?
Image result for north sea oil rig
A bit of a bleak gig, one suspects
     Well, you're getting warmer.  Although I suspect the Special Boat Service also play a role in protecting them -
     No, what I refer to is the novel "The Rig" by Roger Levy, and this time I do have a photograph to show what I mean.  Art?


     You can see it's a hefty tome.  This makes it awkward when you have to remove it from your bag in order to fit a laptop in.  I was intrigued by the cover design, I confess, which appears to be by Julia Lloyd; note to authors - an intriguing cover design is always a big draw.  Okay, I've just sent her a Twitter explaining that I picked the book up thanks to her cover design and ended up buying it.
     So.  We are a quarter of the way to the Compositional Ton.  Not bad for a title that is only two three-letter words, hmmmm?
     Motley!  Wake up, it is time to walk the landsharks.  You get the tungsten muzzles and I'll get the cattle-prods.

Rolling Stone's "50 Best Television Sci-Fi Shows: Number 49
Back to looking at lists, yes, and is there any objection to that?  I mean, it's not as if you have to pay to read this scrivel, is it?  Besides, you might learn something.  Art?
Ignore the film, it was rubbish
     Wonder Wifey came across this series before I did, and described it, stating that I would love it, and do you know what?  I did.  It details the exploits of the eponymous Aeon, who is an assassin working for the Monican government, carrying out various  attacks on the neighbouring state of Bregna.  It was quite experimental, lacking dialogue for most of the time, with extraordinary levels of violence and sexuality, the heroine usually died at the end of each episode and it was definitely not for children.  Art?
Image result for aeon flux
About as SFW as I can find
     Created by artist Peter Chung, who had previously worked on "Rugrats" and who felt creatively stifled there; glad you got that stiflement out of your system, Peter!  I wouldn't mind getting hold of the DVD collection as I remember it fondly.  Which probably says more about me than you would care to know.

"The Taste Of War" By Lizzie Collingham
I'm not sure if TIK mentioned this book in one of his epic narratives, or whether it was Al or Jim on "We Have Ways ..." (their podcast about the Second Unpleasantness), but someone somewhere mentioned it.  Art?
Image result for the taste of war
Sic
     It's not as glamourous a subject as making ground-attack aircraft or panzers, or fighting the foe in foreign fields, but food was one of the fundamentals of war strategy for all the combatant nations.  Perfidious Albion, being an overcrowded island, needed to overcome the need for imported food as much as possible, hence the slogan "Dig For Victory".  Germany was always in a state of near-crisis as regards food, despite the Teuton's regime trying to avoid the terrible food shortages of the First Unpleasantness.  The Sinisters rapidly lost the "Chernozem" or "Black Earth" regions of the Ukraine, where you only had to plant a seed for it to immediately spring to full ripeness.  The South Canadians were about the only people who had an abundance of food, which is why a lot of it got shipped to This Sceptred Isle and the Sinisters.
Image result for ukranian wheat field
Ukranian wheat
     Doubtless Lizzie also mentions the Teuton's "Hunger Plan", which was to deliberately starve between 10 to 20 million Slavs by taking all their food from them in occupied Sinister territory.  This would also help to feed the Wehrmacht.  What philanthropic folks those Nazi bumbletucks were.  
     One to be added to the ever-growing Book Mountain.

     I feel another pot of tea coming on.  Thankfully, with all that loose-leaf Darjeeling, I can manage it easily.  I knew you'd be bothered if you weren't fully apprised of the situation.
Image result for darjeeling tea plantation
The source of all my happiness

Yes, But You've Not Met ME
I'm not sure how it came about, but a load of old Favourite links have appeared on my browser, and one of them is a selection of titles from Abebooks - "Retro Monsters In Books".  And the first one is "Killer Crabs" by Guy N. Smith, who, if I remember correctly, was a schlock-horror artist who cranked out a slew of glib trash that were the equivalent of popcorn for the eyes.  Art?
Ostensibly scary
    There is a blurb to go with the illustration.  Let's see if I can copy and paste -
    Nope, so I shall just copy by hand. 

 "Their claws were strong enough to snap a man in half.  Their shells were inpenetrable, even by a six-inch naval gun.  Their eyes glowed with malevolence, and as they tore their victims limb from limb they seemed to grin with sadistic delight.  Never before had the world seen such an army."

     Well, Guy, first of all there's a reason crabs don't grow to such size that they can cut people in two.  Their weight would crush their endoskeleton if they were that big.  Nor would they be able to move easily out of water.  He also seems to ascribe intelligence to these crabs, which is another reach.  Are they proof against napalm?  I doubt it.  Nerve gas?  Doubtful.  Electricity?  As if.  How about HESH or HEAT anti-tank rounds?  Fired from a helicopter hovering a hundred yards above them, no problem.  Unless these crabs can also fly?
     Bah!

     And with that, we are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment