Search This Blog

Sunday 23 April 2017

A Clerihew For Doctor Who

As You Should Know By Now -
Conrad is a fan of the BBC drama-mentary reconstruction series "Doctor Who", so how fitting it is to dedicate one of today's clerihews to the current iteration.

Peter Capaldi
Is quite an oldie.
He is tall and thin and grey
And soon will be on his way.

     He is moving on from the role, if you care to know.
Image result for peter capaldi doctor who
Don't look at me like that, I was quite flattering!

     Right, now that's a very short Intro out of the way, let us move on apace to mildly mock a whole lot of other celebrities.

Clerihew Overdose
Some of these are mildly mocking and none - as far as I know - are true.  This will hopefully keep the lawyers at bay.  Let the scrivel begin!

Arnold Schwatzenegger
Is an awkward beggar.
It's difficult to find a rhyme
With "-egger", which ends this line

     I know, I know, not the kind of abuse that would have his agent on the phone to Special Branch.  Who's next?  Aha!  

Tom Cruise
Hates clerihews;
Thinks they're too much bother.
He doesn't like them, does Mr. Mapother.

     Hmmm.  Well, I doubt he's really going to be troubled by an obscure blog run by somebody from overseas with a peculiar sense - BOOJUM! is what I'm talking about.  Oh never mind.  Next!

John Cusack
Suffers from plaque.
He treats is with pumice stone
And has worn his teeth down to the bone.

     A little more bite there.  Ha!  do you see - O you do.

Joan Rivers 
Got terrible shivers
If she heard the words "Mumblety-peg".
She was also afraid of scrambled egg.

     No problems there, you can't slander the dead.  Besides, your humble hack rather doubts that any South Canadians have ever heard of Mumblety-Peg.  Okay, who next for the traducing process?

Syd Barrett
Abhored carrot.
He got so vegetable-y annoyed
That he went and founded Pink Floyd

     And, coming at Syd from the other direction - are we not diverse here?

Syd Barrett
Adored claret.
His later career was solo,
Supported by his love of the vino.

     Actually I doubt wine would have rocked Syd's world, he was far too fond of more exotic and less legal - er - substances.

"Foyle's War"
I hope you appreciate the sacrifices I make for you lot.  I've not seen this series before and was curious about it.  The concept is that of a police procedural, set in the early years of the Second Unpleasantness; I was watching what must be one of the earlier episodes, where there have already been two murders - at which point I needed to get the blog started, so I don't know how it ends!
     I did notice a couple of faces amongst the cast who were destined to go on to bigger things - Rosamund Pike and James Mcavoy.  You know, from "Gone Girl" and "Split".
Image result for james maca
James, looking fashionably unkempt

Talking Of Which
I bought the actual novel "Gone Girl" as part of my charity shop trawl haul, and am in a rather odd position as regards it.  You see, I caught the film from the point where Amy has indeed, gone, right up to the end, so I know how the novel ends, yet not how it began.
Image result for gone girl
Ben looking shifty

More Of Music
Yes, like the sad anal-retentive anorak I so proudly admit I am, Conrad is still going through that list of recommended albums as provided by The Flop House Facebook posters.  Don't sneer, I need to retain my musical credibility here.
     Depeche Mode - "Violator";  hmmm.  Synthpop of the early Nineties?  A bit lightweight, to be honest, and it has a rather dated air to it.
Image result for tulips
Violators are horrid.  Have some nice tulips instead
     Dinosaur Jr. - "Green Mind"; not bad, a kind of metal sound with enough variation to retain one's interest.  Conrad, not really in the loop, only discovered yesterday that they broke up twenty years ago.  Also that they had to add the "Jr" for contractual reasons as a bigger band backed by bigger bucks, also called "Dinosaur", objected to their name.
     Ben Folds - "Songs for Silverman"; Yes!  This is the first of these albums that has really jumped out and slapped me across the ears.  I shall be looking into this chap more in future.  Oh - melodic stuff with the piano up front in the mix, which is always a good method of appealing to Conrad.

Image result for ben folds
Ben himself.  He smiles more than Mark Everett



No comments:

Post a Comment